Headlights...HID, HIR, or the new LED...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Any drop in 'headlight' led retrofit will look white in the housing from the front, but the actual light output will be dismal at best. There is only one focal point in the headlight, and it is optimized for a filament light source.

Same thing with dropping in an HID kit, the light will be brighter, but because of the physical location of the arc, and the shape of the arc, it will not have the proper pattern in a reflector housing. More light output, but compromised pattern and glare for oncoming traffic.

HIR bulbs are about the best option if you are keeping the stock reflector housing, otherwise a projector retrofit with HID's would be on my short list.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Any drop in 'headlight' led retrofit will look white in the housing from the front, but the actual light output will be dismal at best. There is only one focal point in the headlight, and it is optimized for a filament light source.

Same thing with dropping in an HID kit, the light will be brighter, but because of the physical location of the arc, and the shape of the arc, it will not have the proper pattern in a reflector housing. More light output, but compromised pattern and glare for oncoming traffic.

HIR bulbs are about the best option if you are keeping the stock reflector housing, otherwise a projector retrofit with HID's would be on my short list.

And here I was thinking I was the only one who got it.....:)

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And here I was thinking I was the only one who got it.....:)
I still would like to see a picture of your retrofits from the front (looking at the headlight). I would think the the light come out of the housing would leave a circle on the outside of the housing, which to me looks gawdy (I've seen aftermarket headlights that did that).

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I still would like to see a picture of your retrofits from the front (looking at the headlight). I would think the the light come out of the housing would leave a circle on the outside of the housing, which to me looks gawdy (I've seen aftermarket headlights that did that).

Lots of pics of my lights around on the forum. My build thread for sure. They just look like aftermarket headlights from the front. They just look like a black plastic case from the back. All the important stuff is buried inside.

Only thing I don't like about mine is I went with black inserts. Should have done the retro on a set of chrome reflectors and used housing covers. Thats a change for the future though.

No idea what you're talking about with a "circle on the housing". Then again, mine are not hid capsules shoved in halogen reflectors. Either way, I could care less if they look "gawdy" or not as long as they keep performing like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Not a pic from my truck, but same results)

:)

Last edited:

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had projector light housings and xantac (spelling?) HIDs off ebay, but they kept burning the lights/ballasts out and I got tired of replacing them.

What brands/supplier would yall recommend for good HIDs?