headlight switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well was out cruising around last night an started to smell burnt plastic / rubber smell an wham my headlights go out for a few seconds. I go an touch the switch an it's burning hot!!
So I pulled over an wait a few minutes an turn off the switch to let it cool down.
Then I turn on the lights again an they stay on until I got home but the switch was hot to touch again.
So I pulled the switch out today an there's black greasey stuff all over it an smells just like it did last night so i'm thinking it's the switch what do you guy's think?
An oh I checked all the wires an they all look good nothing out the normal.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Common problem Ive heard on our trucks, the switch goes. Ive made a point of picking up a few spares whenever I go to junkyard. Everything should be fine, just get a new switch.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I just ran out an got one from advance auto parts for $16 an thanks for the info.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replacing the switch will fix the problem for a while, but why not fix the problem so it doesn't happen again, you could run 2 relay's 1 for low beam's, and one for high beam's then the headlight switch will only signal the relay's to turn on and then the factory headlight switch would no longer have the headlight load on it and then it would last indefinitly, you could also add a third relay at the same time for your high 4. Anyway that's what I would do, and have done.

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacing the switch will fix the problem for a while, but why not fix the problem so it doesn't happen again, you could run 2 relay's 1 for low beam's, and one for high beam's then the headlight switch will only signal the relay's to turn on and then the factory headlight switch would no longer have the headlight load on it and then it would last indefinitly, you could also add a third relay at the same time for your high 4. Anyway that's what I would do, and have done.

Already did the same after my switch burn down. And i think this is the best desicison, only i did it little bit different way (1 relay per headlight assembly), but i have a different light. Just plug in 40 A relay and forget about it lika a nightmare. Yeah and light with relays became brighter!