Headlight help for improvement over stock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luconi

Reaction score
The end goal is I would like brighter headlights. I'm currently on stock housings with stock bulbs. (98 K1500) I see that there is a ton of resources for modifying headlight assemblies with projector housing, LED bulbs, HID's etc. I am trying to figure out what's best for me.

I don't wan't to blind on-coming traffic and be "that guy"
I don't want to be obnoxious either.
I want to add as much illumination as I can without having to modify the wiring harness.
I'd be willing to invest in new headlight housings if it makes that big of a difference. However, if i have to put a little elbow grease in my tarnished stock housings that's fine too.
I don't wan't to have to spend a fortune.

What would make the most sense to look at?

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@luconi, here’s a link to my thread for the HD headlight harnesses I build. Much brighter lights even with stock headlight housings.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/hd-headlight-harnesses-w-4-high-mod.45669/

My 99 burb with stock housings on low beams

You must be registered for see images attach

my harness also includes the 4hi mod, which keeps your low beams on when high beams are switched on. Low beams...

and 4 hi...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't wan't to blind on-coming traffic and be "that guy"

First of all, thank you.

As far as headlight housings, the best and brightest you're going to get in the aftermarket (AKA not paying $150+ per side for OEM) would be the Anzo 111004 or the Spyder HD-YD-CCK88-C. They're very similar except the Anzos have plastic lenses while the Spyders are glass. Glass won't yellow or fade over time, but is less durable to impact/rock chips obviously. Personal preference. I run the Anzos on both of my '97s and I'm very happy with them.

Anzo 111004 (plastic lenses):
https://www.amazon.com/USA-111004-Chevrolet-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B0015PPZMC

Spyder HD-YD-CCK88C (glass lenses):
https://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-Chrome-Crystal-Headlight/dp/B004WMF8SG

The brightest halogen bulbs you should run in those (which is what you want, steer clear of LED or HID if you don't want to produce glare and hot spots for other drivers) would be Philips 9011 HIRs in the high beams and Philips X-tremeVision 9006s in the low beams. It's an easy modification of the mounting tabs on the 9011 bulb to get them to fit a 9005 socket and they're higher output. However you should not use 9012 HIRs instead of the 9006 low beams in these housings. The factory 9006 bulbs have a painted tip where the 9012s do not, therefore 9012s when used without a glare cap over the bulb can create a hot spot for oncoming traffic. That's why I say to stick with the Philips X-tremeVision 9006s for low beams. The X-tremeVisions are honestly really good bulbs anyway and you'd be fine using them for high and low beams if you don't want to mess with trimming tabs on the HIRs. Some relevant links...

Description of modifications necessary to fit 9011/9012 HIR bulbs to 9005/9006 sockets:
https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973

Philips 9011 HIR bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Standard-Halogen-Replacement-Headlight/dp/B00480J5CW

Philips X-tremeVision 9005 bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tremeVision-Upgrade-Headlight-Vision/dp/B01C5QY7DW

Philips X-tremeVision 9006 bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tremeVision-Upgraded-Headlight-Vision/dp/B00U1OLM1Q

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@luconi, here’s a link to my thread for the HD headlight harnesses I build. Much brighter lights even with stock headlight housings.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/hd-headlight-harnesses-w-4-high-mod.45669/

My 99 burb with stock housings on low beams

my harness also includes the 4hi mod, which keeps your low beams on when high beams are switched on. Low beams...

and 4 hi...

What kind of bulbs do you run?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I dont know about your guy's harnesses but do you mod the low beams? The low beams are so much brighter with the 4 hi mod on then when on they are on by themselves through the oem wiring. @kennythewelder gave me the idea and it is pretty straight forward. All my wires are upgraded except the last 2 inches before the sockets.

There is lots of great advice in this thread and the only thing that I can add is to mod the low beams as well.

I have spyder glass lenses, and both 4 hi and low beam mods on my trucks and it is a huge improvement over the old oem wires and composite lenses.

Thanks for the advice on Phillip's bulbs as I have had 2 newer sylvania silverstars burn out prematurely i would say and wanted to try something different but I was weary of pulling the trigger on bulbs that I have no clue about. I actually am running the old bulbs that I removed from my burb 4 or 5 years ago when I first started the 4 hi mods and replaced with the silverstars. I couldn't believe they were the same bulbs that I couldn't see **** with.

Take care

Al

Last edited:

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know about your guy's harnesses but do you mod the low beams? The low beams are so much brighter with the 4 hi mod on then when on they are on by themselves through the oem wiring. @kennythewelder gave me the idea and it is pretty straight forward. All my wires are upgraded except the last 2 inches before the sockets.

There is lots of great advice in this thread and the only thing that I can add is to mod the low beams as well.

I have spyder glass lenses, and both 4 hi and low beam mods on my trucks and it is a huge improvement over the old oem wires and composite lenses.

Thanks for the advice on Phillip's bulbs as I have had 2 newer sylvania silverstars burn out prematurely i would say and wanted to try something different but I was weary of pulling the trigger on bulbs that I have no clue about. I actually am running the old bulbs that I removed from my burb 4 or 5 years ago when I first started the 4 hi mods and replaced with the silverstars. I couldn't believe they were the same bulbs that I couldn't see **** with.

Take care

Al
What is the mod to your low beams?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to build harnesses and wire up relays to power things properly, directly off the battery.

So modding the low beams is exactly the same as modding the highs because in reality the 4 hi mod turns the low beams back on when you turn the hi beams on.

So splice the low beam wires the oem supply wire goes to the relay to trigger the relay to turn on, the other half of the wire goes to the output lead on the relay to the lights. I upgraded my wires but I believe others have not and had the same results because they are powered directly off the battery.

Of course I tied the both mods together in a nice, oem looking setup. All soldered, double walled shrink wrapped, wire loomed and zip tied in place. I also run these wires down through the cold air intake part of the fender beside the battery and over to the lights.

Take care!

Al