Head Swap Options For 5.7L 350 TBI Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roloc discs do not belong anywhere near gasket surface areas or where the dust can enter the crankcase or cylinder bores. I cringe anytime I see Youtube videos of people using them on mating surfaces, especially over an open lifter valley over intake ports.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roloc discs do not belong anywhere near gasket surface areas or where the dust can enter the crankcase or cylinder bores. I cringe anytime I see Youtube videos of people using them on mating surfaces, especially over an open lifter valley over intake ports.
Yes, I've used them on my heads and intake manifolds, when they're on the work bench where I can give them a good cleaning afterwards.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they did but, I don't think they're making heads for the TBI intake angled bolt holes anymore.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Using the filter on their page to narrow down the selections, there are only like eight or nine heads that match the years the TBI was available. Only four models remain in stock, and none of those four have more than four remaining in inventory. I'm not sure if the bolt angles are correct on any of them.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used relocs on my intake on the bench and the heads on the engine. I had crumpled newspaper blocking all the ports and a towel in the valley. When I was done I vacuumed everything and then wiped it all down with acetone until the rags were clean. Then I removed the newspaper and installed the intake, torqued it, let it sit for 24+ hours to allow the RTV to cure, double checked the torque, changed the oil and filter, refilled the coolant, fired it up and set the timing.

I have used Relocs similarly many times with no issues.

Next time I'll skip the rolocs.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec to TBI intake not an option?
There was one for $250 in the Summit bargain cave in Arlington a couple of weeks ago that I have seen for atleast a year there. It is not the best manifold. The OE TBI Vortec manifold used a 2" bore TBI and had the larger TB bores.

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mentioned it before, but I did read the Vortec swap thread a bit. That's why I said I moved it to the bottom of my list of considerations, as the modifications to the intake and castings seemed a little too intimidating. I'd prefer bolt-on solutions over having to cut and drill anything if I can avoid it.

This is going to be controversial, but I'm looking into possibly upgrading to an Edelbrock 3704 Performer TBI intake and retaining the TBI heads with it. I've seen mention that the factory intakes have a bad tendency to warp, and since I'll have it off one way or another, it might be a good time to consider upgrading it instead of the heads. I've seen a split between people who praise the Edelbrock intake, as well as plenty of others who say it made no difference for them (or worse). I stumbled across the fact that Edelbrock will provide a custom chip for it for free, and I wonder how many people are disappointed because they're not running the intended tuning differences that would unlock it's supposed potential. It doesn't seem to be well-advertised that they offer the free chip, as you have to contact Edelbrock with your proof of purchase to get one instead of it being included in the box.

While experienced tuners hate off-the-shelf chips, I live in an area where most people are still convinced a 1988 ECM is new-fangled witchcraft because it's not a half-varnished carburetor. A local tuner shop probably isn't an option unless I trailer the whole thing out of town. An interesting thing I've learned about early TBI is that most people seem split evenly between hating it because it's too modern, or hating it because it's not modern enough for OBD2. I don't know anything about engine tuning yet, but as someone stated earlier in the thread, people who do it for these older systems are getting harder to find. I do know electronics and computing fairly well though, so if the Edelbrock chip doesn't run well I could study to learn tuning and try flashing an upgraded flash memory chip myself. I know we have a thread here on it, and I think I remember the Harris site having a lot of DIY information available even though he's retired from selling chips himself. I have a spare ECM on a shelf and could easily modify it with a socket for easy swaps per another thread I found on here. It's just a matter of overcoming the learning curve, IF the Edelbrock chip would even be a problem for just the upgraded intake it's designed to account for.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into possibly upgrading to an Edelbrock 3704 Performer TBI intake
They say it'll give you around a 30 LB/FT in torque gain.

I stumbled across the fact that Edelbrock will provide a custom chip for it for free, and I wonder how many people are disappointed because they're not running the intended tuning differences that would unlock it's supposed potential. It doesn't seem to be well-advertised that they offer the free chip, as you have to contact Edelbrock with your proof of purchase to get one instead of it being included in the box.
That offer was only if you buy their cam, heads, and intake. Then, they'll throw in a chip.

Have you looked into an EBL?
www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seem to remember Edelbrock no longer offers chips at all, even for replacements. I had to burn one ~10 years ago for a Proflow system my buddy put on his 71 that he had owned a year or two prior. I forget all the details, but Edelbrock basically told him we have moved on and no longer offer chips.