Head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said something about the bubbles showing up in the radiator if the head gasket blew. Im going to pick it tomorrow then take a closer look at it.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Find out what kind of pressure test he did.

Most likely a coolant system pressure test. It's a simple and quick way to determine if you have a coolant leak at the head gasket into the combustion chamber.

If the truck makes a lot of short trips the. Whitish gunk in the valve covers is not that unusual. Its condensation from short warm ups and cool down.

A quick pull of the oil drain plug will tell you if you've got coolant in the oil. Let it sit at least overnight and any serious coolant leak will settle in the bottom of the pan. You'll get a brief bit of water before the oil. It's unlikely if it pressure tested good though.

Most likely you've got a slow leak somewhere. Weeping around a hose, water pump weep hole, etc.

I was often amazed how low a vehicles coolant could get when i worked on the floor. People just don't look at this stuff until something goes wrong or the happen upon it one day ror whatever reason.

No one does weekly or monthly checks on their systems anymore.

Another sign of the times I guess....