Head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
well then my intake gasket assumption may be wrong they can still go bad in a tbi but I don't think it's nearly as common as the vortec they are notorious for going bad

Sent from my static android

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
drain some oil out and see what color it is. does your truck puff out alot of white smoke? what do your spark plugs look like if you took them out one by one? its neither gasket if theres no coolant in your oil, sounds like you are burning it off though for sure. sounds more like intake gaskets than head gaskets.

either way procedure more so for tbi is easy, you unplug all your sensors, unplg your fuel lines take of the throttle body would help, pull the distributor too and unplug it. drain your coolant at any time from the heads. then take out the bolts holding the intake on. be gentle taking it off for the purpose of checking the gaskets. if it comes off in one piece and looks like it may have been leaking there then that may be the only issue.

if its head gaskets follow said precedure remove exhaust manifold bolts, undo top bolts for accesory brackets, take off accesory belt, take off ground wire on back of passneger side head, undo plug wires, remove any bracketry that may hold your heads on. remove head bolts remove heads.

install is take a scraper and get all the gasket material off and a clean surface. i like to shove a towel in the bore to keep from alot of stuff from falling in. do that too the whole surface. i then like to take a block sander with very fine grit and go over it to take the rest of the debris off. then some denatured alcohol to celan the surface and wipe it off really good. set gasket on set head on. put new head bolts in and tighten in correct sequence. i believe the torque sequence as well is 25, 50, 65. then i put a drop of permatex on the intake gaskets so they stick to the heads. set the intake on after tighten that down to spec and in its sequence then reassemble everything. just make sure your gasket surfaces are clean and debris free.

put your manifolds, wires, new plugs, distributor in correctly, all the sensors back up etc. side note before i d intake gaskets i like to flush the oil, get a quart or two of the cheapest oil you can find and after already draining the pain run that through and let it drain out. you will have to retime the engine. add your bracketsry and accesorys back together, etc etc etc. add oil, add colant to start it up and then bleed the radiator once its up and running as well as set the timing.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Ok so I should start with a intake gasket and then I will go from there. I will be picking parts up friday and start tearing down saterday morning. Besides the gasket what materials will I need to do this?

read my post i like to use a little denatured alcohol, block sander with fine grit, permatex, new head bolts, razro blades or gasket scraper of sorts, oil, coolant, case of beer, rags, a bucket to collect coolant, cat litter for cleanup.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Ok so I should start with a intake gasket and then I will go from there. I will be picking parts up friday and start tearing down saterday morning. Besides the gasket what materials will I need to do this?

well I replaced the intake manifold in my tbi Camaro once of you pull it up it will probably destroy the current gasket (mine did)... but i will say in my experience when an actual head gasket let's loose the vehicle smokes and overheats and your oil typically looks like a milkshake..... not saying it is or isn't a head gasket just sharing my experience with a blown head gasket...... also mine was on a 1976 Chevy carbed 350 (dads truck when I was a kid)

Sent from my static android

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if you have any questions just ask. ive done this job multiple times so if you hit any kinks and need some help shoot me a PM. i have a book with the torque specs as well that may be of some help.