Have a weird leak, mechanic cannot find it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Had my 6.5 engine replaced a few weeks ago, and now I get an intermittent leak only when I make a left into a parking spot, but it's intermittent. Cannot find anything on the lift at the shop. All fluid levels are normal. Was wondering if anyone has seen this before. Cannot determine what it is, but I do know its oil of some kind when I check what's on the ground. Its a 1997 btw.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Chevy-SS

Reaction score
Well, it's leaking fluid, which means the level of fluid will eventually drop. So I would make notes on all fluid levels of EXACTLY where they are, and then keep checking. You will find the culprit system at some point.

Meanwhile, my guess would be power steering system leak.

Keep us posted.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fact that it happens when turning certainly suggests a leaking steering component. The fluid might be leaking on to the crossmember before hitting the ground which can make it a little tough to see exactly where it is coming from. In fact, some trucks have a loop of PS line inside that crossmember for cooling and it could have a small hole in it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I cut my high pressure line last year and it would only leak when you turned the wheel, but it did it in either direction.

Reaction score
Took it back in after I managed to dab some of the oil up, it was transmission fluid. Apparently a grommet was loose and/or broken and they are replacing it, apparently when I was making a left turn the momentum would slosh some fluid out, big hint was that my transmission started slipping so I took it in for that. Thank you for the tips guys.