Has anyone ever had to replace a Wiper Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCPanteraGuy

Reaction score
Okay so I know you have to take the steering wheel off but after that I'm lost lol

I tried to find a help video with no help

Planning on doing this fix this weekend so any help is good help! thanks!

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Are you talking about the lever? Mine in my '93 just pulled straight out and had a wire running under the dash I needed to unplug. Didnt touch the steering wheel.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed mine in my 1989 last month. I'm assuming yours is a 90 right? I could write somethin up real quick if its a 1990.

FYI it didn't fix my problem with the wipers being random.... FML

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm headed to the junkyard tomorrow, so I will find one and tear it apart and take you some pics, since I didn't take any pics when I did mine.

I replaced my whole wiper motor assembly from a truck that the wipers worked fine on it. But I got the different style that most trucks I've looked at don't have. NAPA Car quest don't even hold the PCM for my style wiper motor. But now that I think about it, when I replaced it they worked for a little bit but then went back to being random stopping whenever or keep going.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright sorry bout the wait I didn't manage to take any pics, since lost my camera and phone died when i got there. But let me try from memory haha. Alright like you said steering wheel is off. you should be to the spot where the black plastic piece is in the way. That piece stopped me for a good 15 minutes wondering what it was for and what it did. Well its just a filler piece. i used a flat head screwdriver on both sides and pried it off. Now its like a game of memory remember where everything went because everything is coming out. There are 3 Phillips screws holding the blinker assembly in place. Behind that are 4, I believe, torques head t20, I think. 1 is holding the ignition, which is a unique screw. Place the key in the run position and it should pull out. If not there should be a release button somewhere along the ignition assembly.

Don't forget to unscrew the hazard button and unscrew the tilt if equipped. Also, the blinker lever, all you do is push in towards the center of the steering column and twist the lever forward or backward, it might depend on the different style of lever. Take the other screws out if there are anymore, can't really remember. The ignition switch should be visible on the left of the column and there will be a pin going through the switch to allow the lever to go up and down for the blinkers, get a skinny punch of some sort a very small flat head screwdriver worked for me at the time and just push it out.

Once you have them out the steering column cover should slide off towards you. The little piece by the tilt slide away from you. Inside the plastic cover will be the switch which you will have to play with to get it to come out right. but now you face a very difficult decision. How to get that huge pigtail through the column from the switch. I didn't mess around so I just cut the wires. Then I pulled the wires back through the column, and you can either solder(which I recommend if you know how to) or use heat shrink butt connectors.

If something doesn't make sense, tell me, I'm sure I messed up or mixed something together that makes sense only to me but to nobody else, haha, and I'll elaborate better on that specific item, if possible.