Has anybody here removed/plugged the IAC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This. I've done this on a couple turbo cars that have aftermarket ECU's that are poor at controlling IAC valves. it works good once you've relearned TPS values. But with a stock ECU where you can't relearn TPS values, it could cause issues. Specifically with trans control like you said.

I'll say it usually works pretty well, but tuning can be challenging. Even turning the headlights on changes idle speed.

I disconnected the battery while i was doing the work. When I was all done and went on my 1st ride, the 1-2 shift was delayed, only the 1st time that it shifted from 1-2. After that, everything seems normal again. It seems like everything relearned what it had to learn. Only guessing that though, based on how it runs/drives.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My SES light came on today. It gives me the IAC code 1509. It must take a while to trip the light. Next time I send the computer back to Blackbear, I will see if they can tune the IAC out so it doesn't trip the SES light.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck started ok at -10 degrees F this morning. It didn't want to idle at 1st so I gave it a small amount of throttle for about 5 seconds, it then settled into it's (now) usual cold idle at 600 rpms. Went up to 750-800 rpms once warmed up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I disconnected the battery while i was doing the work. When I was all done and went on my 1st ride, the 1-2 shift was delayed, only the 1st time that it shifted from 1-2. After that, everything seems normal again. It seems like everything relearned what it had to learn. Only guessing that though, based on how it runs/drives.

That's one of the ways to do a TPS relearn. Another is a PCM flash. I think there's another way too. I believe it will throw a code if it's out of range, mine did when I swapped the throttle body.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has been getting down to -30 F at night, and only getting up to -10ish F during the day here. The truck is still starting and running fine with the iac unhooked. Same story - after it fires, I give it a little bit of throttle for about 10 seconds. It settles into a 600 rpm idle until warm, then goes up to 750-800 rpms. The sky hasn't fallen yet.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our thermometer said -38 F when I left for work this morning. The poor truck sits outside. I didn't put a block heater in the new motor. Nothing. It fires right up.

My neighbors new $70,000(?) garage kept Audi didn't start this morning. I had to give him a ride to work. :)

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The main reason that I update this is because before doing it I searched online for answers. All that I found were a bunch of people saying why you shouldn't do it, or people who had a truck that barely was in running condition, and they were trying to save $$$ - which isn't why I did this.

I have done it, and with my particular set up - it was an improvement. The truck runs better, is simpler, and I have more control over what is happening when I start this truck.

I have NO A/C
Dual 2 3/4" exhaust
Open intake
no egr
no cats
Blackbear tune
New Gm goodwrench 350
New mpfi upgrade

Again - this info is to help anybody who might do a search sometime.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for offering your uneducated opinion. Now get back in line with the sheeple.