Has anybody here removed/plugged the IAC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No...you won't achieve good idle quality with just a static mechanical adjustment. The PCM needs control over idle to compensate for a variety of operating conditions, but mainly, engine temperature and A/C on/off.

Richard

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to add more info - I have removed the AC and also the piece that was attached to the butterfly from the factory. My IAC has never worked right. I have never tried to replace it, as its job just kind of irritates me anyways. I want to regulate my own idle (if possible) instead of having the computer do it.

Back when I cut the oem piece off of the butterfly, I found that the butterfly binds in the throttle body slightly, but only when running. Others that have done the same mod have complained about the initial throttle response being a bit too snappy - I am guessing this comes from that slight binding. Again - the binding only happens once the vacuum of the engine sucking in air happens. If you manually adjust the butterfly stop, this stops happening.

So, I am thinking/hoping I can eliminate 2 minor problems at the same time. Who knows if it will work though...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Back when I cut the oem piece off of the butterfly, I found that the butterfly binds in the throttle body slightly, but only when running. Others that have done the same mod have complained about the initial throttle response being a bit too snappy - I am guessing this comes from that slight binding.

The snappy throttle response comes from more off idle air flow due to the lack of the restrictor that you cut off. The blade should not be sticking, it never did on my red truck when I did that mod. Still sucked though, and I ended up putting a factory blade back in.

It sounds to me like you've got multiple issues with your throttle body and you're trying to make them worse by eliminating the IAC.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The snappy throttle response comes from more off idle air flow due to the lack of the restrictor that you cut off. The blade should not be sticking, it never did on my red truck when I did that mod. Still sucked though, and I ended up putting a factory blade back in.

It sounds to me like you've got multiple issues with your throttle body and you're trying to make them worse by eliminating the IAC.

You are guessing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
He's not guessing, it's a fact. Notice how the truck holds a gear better before downshifting too?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It can't use much air at idle, so cutting that piece off isn't going to do anything for that.

There is nothing wrong with my throttle body. I made the iac plug the passage off today by unscrewing the plunger enough to extend it into the passage. It works great.

I am also running no cats, open intake, blackbear tune, 3" dual exhaust, no egr etc.

If you haven't tried it, but want to give your opinions based on what you've read on the internet, ok then.