Hand held scanner that reads live data?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
class 2 data bus was not in use wide spread on gm trucks until 2003 unless you are saying youre truck is newer.

class 2 in gmt 400... would be limited to the ECM communicating to other modules.. my dads 96 doesnt have much for options, so he has 3 modules iirc. They MAY be class 2 but I would be doubtful, I can check my tech 2 on it. Its probably just UART.
My 1999 park avenue is class 2 in most of its wiring, with some hardwired connections to modules or functions that were either class 2 by 2000 or they were kept off the class 2 line for a reason.

UART would be most gmt 400 if not all

a failed computer shouldnt be your class 2 problem since class 2 is comoing from the ECM. i would suspect damaged wiring or maybe a bad pin or at worst a faulty output from the ECM but not an ECM error. if you can probe that wire it means class 2 data bus is working. you should get a tech 2 and see whats reporting as "on" on the class 2 network

Awesome, thanks for the input! It's a 99 Silverado NBS, so may be UART, not that I know what that means, LOL. I'm doing an engine/tranny swap on the truck, and have a thread going on on the LsX + Carb Swaps sub-forum if you are interested in reading through...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m thinking about giving one a try. I just want to be able to have something to be able to see sensor values like trans temp and what not while I’m driving so if something acts up I can see what’s going on without having to always rely on the laptop.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to using one of these bluetooth adapters with the Torque or DashCommand app on your phone?
I have the BAFX version and I keep it in my Mustang. It's handy for pulling codes or checking data stream on the fly. The Air Force sent me to a 6-week school in another state, and a classmate had a check engine light appear on her brand new Jeep. Thirty seconds with the code reader and she had all the info she needed to raise hell at the local dealership. Does it do everything? No, but it's one of the smallest and handiest pieces of kit you can have for a newer car.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a similar one (except it was 1/3 the price) and it's good for reading and clearing codes, and watching some live data. It does nothing else, no tuning or anything. BUT it takes up no space in the console, and it works on every OBD2 vehicle I've tried it on.

moremudd

Reaction score
The BAFX blue tooth works good for me with the torque app to check the mustang , Toyota Tacoma and the 1998 k1500 , But it does not help you set the timing/cam position sensor . Is the Tech 2 of any use for setting the cam sensor / timing . Very frustrating having all these apps say they can until you try to do it and they can not and the author of the app says " except Chevy obd2 trucks " . Thanks .

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everybody. I bought an Innove 5610. Now I need to learn how to use it...

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2004 and up GM are canbus equipped so some earlier obd2 scanners my not work. 96 up GM trucks are obd2. If you want higher end scanner that gives you more than just alot of live data, make sure has bi-directional capable, such as reset/change aux fan temp setting. Antiskid brake bleeding and others.