Ground strap location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Clean up the screw in terminals or replace them. They do not look too good. The metal is soft and they wear easily. Also if there are 2 leads on the positive, make sure you have the correct spacer.

Or eliminate it. My original spacer compressed/deformed over time. I over tightened it, not knowing any better at the time. I used a brass accessory bolt, and attach the second cable on the outside of the hex. I've got one on the negative side now too.

Kandy1997

Reaction score
Clean up the screw in terminals or replace them. They do not look too good. The metal is soft and they wear easily. Also if there are 2 leads on the positive, make sure you have the correct spacer.
Oh I put in two brand new battery cables. I think the terminals were a little loose. Thank you

Kandy1997

Reaction score
Or eliminate it. My original spacer compressed/deformed over time. I over tightened it, not knowing any better at the time. I used a brass accessory bolt, and attach the second cable on the outside of the hex. I've got one on the negative side now too.
I do have two positive batter cables. One goes to the starter and the other to the fuse box. There was not a spacer in between them. Would a copper washer work? I have an assortment of them on hand

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I do have two positive batter cables. One goes to the starter and the other to the fuse box. There was not a spacer in between them. Would a copper washer work? I have an assortment of them on hand

You want the right thickness. The lead spacers are a standard thing. You can probably buy one at the parts store.

If you don't have one, I don't see how your positive cables could be tight.

Kandy1997

Reaction score
You want the right thickness. The lead spacers are a standard thing. You can probably buy one at the parts store.

If you don't have one, I don't see how your positive cables could be tight.
That makes a lot of sense. I'll go to AutoZone tomorrow morning

Kandy1997

Reaction score
After I cranked the terminal bolts down much tighter, this thing is running perfect. This is my first time dealing with side post, I hate them lol.

Attachments

• 20220422_095354_HDR.jpg
    20220422_095354_HDR.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220422_110758.jpg
    20220422_110758.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 40

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
After I cranked the terminal bolts down much tighter, this thing is running perfect. This is my first time dealing with side post, I hate them lol.

Uh, don't go reefing on those bolts, you can crack the battery inside and get acid running through the inside of your battery cables.

Kandy1997

Reaction score
I had them on really lightly before, was too worried about not over torquing. They were working loose from just braking on hitting a little bump. I just got them good and secure

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you're dead-set on having a perfectly restored OEM spec truck, recycle the battery, get a top-post from Wham-Alart, and make the conversion.