Grille replacement color match opinion - Spray or Pay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a grille replacement for my truck, but trying to decide if I want to pay for a shop to spray the new grille or attempt it myself using duplicolor or SEM paint in a can.
Looking for opinions of those who have done it before....
The color is Olympic White, and the cost is between 25 dollars and 50 dollars dependant on the cans needed and the manufacturer of the paint.
The estimates for a shop to do it have been between 150 and 300 dollars.
This is with the grill off.

Thanks

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a grille replacement for my truck, but trying to decide if I want to pay for a shop to spray the new grille or attempt it myself using duplicolor or SEM paint in a can.
Looking for opinions of those who have done it before....
The color is Olympic White, and the cost is between 25 dollars and 50 dollars dependant on the cans needed and the manufacturer of the paint.
The estimates for a shop to do it have been between 150 and 300 dollars.
This is with the grill off.

Thanks
Depends on the condition and if you're doing anything else to the truck. I'm not talented enough to properly do body work, so I plan on paying somebody to do this for me. If you're good with a rattle can, or you don't care about minor imperfections, then give it a whack yourself. I've tried on other vehicles with duplicolor and other reputable brands and I can't get the finish right. I'd be even more hesitant if it was on the grill with multiple surfaces that are hard to coat evenly and even more difficult to sand, buff and polish when I inevitably overspray. Just my two cents, ultimately it's your truck, and your money, who am I to tell you how to use it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have done a few grilles now. Certain colors match easier, most anything metallic or darker(greys, greens,tans). Black is harder and white is by far the most difficult. I just did the burban grille in Olympic white, it's what the color code in the glovebox says, but it's not quite the same. Used both duplicolor and sem. Sem was a little more expensive, but flowed and looked better.
Grille has a slightly whiter hue as compared to the aged/faded fender
You must be registered for see images attach

Lower rear door panel was repaired and sprayed from the body line down with sem Olympic white(no clear coat yet)

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It really just depends. These trucks are all 20+ years old now so color matching is going to be damn near impossible. I decided that until I was ready to paint the whole truck, there was no sense in paying a professional to do it so I rattle-canned the whole front end of mine. There is a guy on YouTube that goes by James D-Guy that has done some pretty decent work with rattle cans and his videos have good information... if you’re seriously considering doing it yourself, I’d start there.
To me, the benefits of do it yourself outweigh the slight imperfection. #1 it’s cheaper. #2 it’s something you can say you did yourself and you can be proud of that. #3 it’s something you can learn and perhaps apply elsewhere (like when I sprayed my double din dash to match). #4 the worst you can do can be easily removed with some paint thinner.
Now is my work perfect?... Hell no. But is my work perfect for this stage of my project?... Yep! I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most any Auto paint store can computer color match basecoat via their camera and load it in a spray can. You can get 2k clear in a spray bomb also. it's a few dollars more but you will get a better color match.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done a few grilles now. Certain colors match easier, most anything metallic or darker(greys, greens,tans). Black is harder and white is by far the most difficult. I just did the burban grille in Olympic white, it's what the color code in the glovebox says, but it's not quite the same. Used both duplicolor and sem. Sem was a little more expensive, but flowed and looked better.
Grille has a slightly whiter hue as compared to the aged/faded fender

Lower rear door panel was repaired and sprayed from the body line down with sem Olympic white(no clear coat yet)

Im sure the pics dont do any justice, but they both look pretty good.