Grill Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Probably could find a thread on this If I wanted but I like a fresh one for new opinions or updated info. Anyway does anyone know if the old style grille (88-93) can be made to fit the later 90s trucks. I have a 95 that the grill is cracked on so I’m looking into options. I really like the precious all chrome ones better than the paint matched but I don’t like the late style in all chrome as it looks a little tacky in my opinion. Has anyone ever converted and what are the steps in that conversion? Thanks!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably could find a thread on this If I wanted but I like a fresh one for new opinions or updated info. Anyway does anyone know if the old style grille (88-93) can be made to fit the later 90s trucks. I have a 95 that the grill is cracked on so I’m looking into options. I really like the precious all chrome ones better than the paint matched but I don’t like the late style in all chrome as it looks a little tacky in my opinion. Has anyone ever converted and what are the steps in that conversion? Thanks!

Yes it fits. Theres a guy on here that has a suburban and put an earlier grill on it. I'll try to find his thread or username

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88-93 and 94-98 are different. They can be swapped and mounted to different year trucks. The headlight lenses and wiring are the only things you'd save.
To put a first style grill on second style, you need said grille, lower filler panel, and all 6 turn signal lenses. (The 2 piece amber side markers are dependent on year range too.)

It's cheaper to keep your 95 design, unless you like the earlier style, like me. Because the Chinesium peeling chrome junk on my '98 Suburban was turning green, I put on a 454SS black grill, and 4 headlight (from the 88-89). Changed the whole look of the truck for the better.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hate to be that guy, but there are about a million threads on this subject and I'm not sure what "updated" opinions or info you're hoping for. This stuff doesn't change over time...

From memory you'll need the '88-'93 grille, '88-'93 lower filler pieces (center and both sides), and the correct '88-'93 Chevy or GMC corner lenses depending on which grille you go with (Chevy and GMC corners don't interchange).

Reaction score
Hate to be that guy, but there are about a million threads on this subject and I'm not sure what "updated" opinions or info you're hoping for. This stuff doesn't change over time...

From memory you'll need the '88-'93 grille, '88-'93 lower filler pieces (center and both sides), and the correct '88-'93 Chevy or GMC corner lenses depending on which grille you go with (Chevy and GMC corners don't interchange).

no problem I meant more like opinions on what “aftermarket” parts are still being made or if they’re too cheap or whatever other crap may come up. Thanks for the info

Reaction score
88-93 and 94-98 are different. They can be swapped and mounted to different year trucks. The headlight lenses and wiring are the only things you'd save.
To put a first style grill on second style, you need said grille, lower filler panel, and all 6 turn signal lenses. (The 2 piece amber side markers are dependent on year range too.)

It's cheaper to keep your 95 design, unless you like the earlier style, like me. Because the Chinesium peeling chrome junk on my '98 Suburban was turning green, I put on a 454SS black grill, and 4 headlight (from the 88-89). Changed the whole look of the truck for the better.

sorry for the late response but thank you as well for the info. I like the old chrome better than the paint matched on my 95 it would also save me the hassle of painting the new one. Do the bolt holes line up or do I have to tap new ones?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry for the late response but thank you as well for the info. I like the old chrome better than the paint matched on my 95 it would also save me the hassle of painting the new one. Do the bolt holes line up or do I have to tap new ones?

They all line up.
Perhaps not the very center one... the GMC has a center screw in the GMC logo, that's not used on the Chevy.

That's the great thing about the GM core support, its pretty much the same for both Chevy and GMC from 88-98, 1500-2500-3500, all engines, and wheelbases.
The hardware is threaded into both "captured nuts" and plastic inserts.

Last edited: