Grease all over CV boots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my diffs rebuilt earlier this year and since then there has been a constant coating of grease all over my outer cv boots on both sides. The boots are old and torn, so it might be leaking out somehow. Did they just over grease it and now it's coming out of my torn boots? Should I just replace my cvs for good measure?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question, if the boots are torn open they will spray grease. Whoever replaced the diff probably tore the CV boots in the process.

Yes replace both CV axles. And clean off all the grease around the suspension/steering boots to see if those are also torn. Chances are they used pickle forks on everything they needed to separate and all of that will have to be replaced as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had my diffs rebuilt earlier this year and since then there has been a constant coating of grease all over my outer cv boots on both sides. The boots are old and torn, so it might be leaking out somehow. Did they just over grease it and now it's coming out of my torn boots? Should I just replace my cvs for good measure?

It doesn't take much of a hole for a CV axle to sling grease.

If they are original, I'd replace the boots or send them out for rebuild. I recently found a shop in Georgia that does it:

I have not used them, but plan too. Our original CV shafts are much better than the new chinese parts that can be purchased cheaply.

I currently have an original CV shaft on my passenger side slinging grease becasue I bumped the boot on the lower shock mount when working on something else.... probably the lower ball joint. I think I have the driver's side boxed up on my parts shelf. When I replaced the drivers side, the replacement only lasted a couple of years before it started slinging grease, with no holes that I could find. I got the part replaced under warrantee, but I still had to do the work.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to be common to buy new boots and boot-clamps as a kit along with a packet of CV grease.

We disassembled, cleaned, and inspected the joint, and if it wasn't ruined, it went back together with fresh grease and the new boot. Honda cars were the worst because the shafts weren't intended to be disassembleable--no taper on the snap ring grooves. You'd have to beat the living crap out of them to get the shaft out of the CV joint. Other shafts would pop apart fairly easily.

There was a guy that sold oversize ball bearings to use in slightly-worn CV joint races. They were a thousandth or three oversize. I never used 'em, but I knew they were available.

I haven't heard of anyone putting new boots on a CV shaft in twenty years or more. Tried to get new boots for my Toronado, and the parts-counterman looked at me like I was from Mars.

I think the days of D-I-Y CV repair are done. And that's a shame, because it wasn't bad work, (except for those Hondas) and the parts were inexpensive.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, Moog still makes a good thermoplastic boot. I rebooted one of my axles last year. The rubber boots suck, don't even bother. I think I waited almost a month for the thing to show up from Canada. My joint was immaculate so I cleaned it and put it right back together.

Looks like it's unavailable at least from Amazon for now.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Used to be common to buy new boots and boot-clamps as a kit along with a packet of CV grease.

Boots are availble on Rockauto last I knew for my truck, but I was not able to get the shaft apart... I'll admit, I had no idea what I was doing, and it was difficult to see what I was doing with all the grease in the way. I gave up..... I think I still have it in a box, to revisit later.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a tip I learned as a Nissan technician. If the axle is clicking, go ahead and replace it. If the boot is busted, but not clicking, DO NOT CLEAN IT OUT. Shoot some new grease in there and install a new boot. We never figured out why, but if we cleaned the axle out and rebooted, it would start clicking within a month or so. If we just threw a new boot over the dirty grease, they ran for years.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a tip I learned as a Nissan technician. If the axle is clicking, go ahead and replace it. If the boot is busted, but not clicking, DO NOT CLEAN IT OUT. Shoot some new grease in there and install a new boot. We never figured out why, but if we cleaned the axle out and rebooted, it would start clicking within a month or so. If we just threw a new boot over the dirty grease, they ran for years.

I've rebooted numerous non-clicking axles in my time and none of them began to click after cleaning them out. Sounds like the to purge or not to purge your ATF argument if you ask me.