Gonna need towing mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After reading through this thread, I'm thinking the Trail Ridge are the best value for the money. Seems they are a bit more solid if tightened as much as possible. Any comments from those who own the Boost or Ebay models?

Also, I am installing them on my 92 K2500, which does not have power mirrors, so for simplicity, I'm thinking of getting two of these:

and installing one on each door. If i do this I can run the wiring directly to the switch and not have to run wires through the door harness. I'm thinking I can bring power from the the power window or lock switch. May not be the most convenient for the passenger door, but a lot better than trying to bring the wires to the driver's side. Thinking of mounting on the flat portion just below the mirror mount on the inside panel. Am I too lazy about this?

Thanks
Rich
Maple Valley, WA
1992 GMC K2500HD, 454 TBI, 4L80E, 3.73 full floating

herkyhawki

Reaction score
Nothing there, 2 studs are installed, the upper is missing on both sides. Not a problem, I can find something. Dont want to install till I paint them white.
Bill
It's not just a stud, you are also missing a stamped metal bracket that is meant to keep vibrations down. In mine, there was no hardware packed with the passenger side mirror, but all of the hardware was in the driver side box. Photos of the hardware are in the ad linked above. I would not install without correct hardware. These mirrors are much heavier than stock.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.29.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.29.38 PM.png
    573.8 KB · Views: 28

Grimpalahat

Reaction score
After reading through this thread, I'm thinking the Trail Ridge are the best value for the money. Seems they are a bit more solid if tightened as much as possible. Any comments from those who own the Boost or Ebay models?

Also, I am installing them on my 92 K2500, which does not have power mirrors, so for simplicity, I'm thinking of getting two of these:

and installing one on each door. If i do this I can run the wiring directly to the switch and not have to run wires through the door harness. I'm thinking I can bring power from the the power window or lock switch. May not be the most convenient for the passenger door, but a lot better than trying to bring the wires to the driver's side. Thinking of mounting on the flat portion just below the mirror mount on the inside panel. Am I too lazy about this?

Thanks
Rich
Maple Valley, WA
1992 GMC K2500HD, 454 TBI, 4L80E, 3.73 full floating
I won't give boost another red cent after the junk they sent me a few months back. Mirrors shook like there's no tomorrow and the wiring was reversed so that I had to re-pin the entire connector. When I called about the shaking I was basically told that my truck is old junk and deal with it. After a few emails back and forth with a couple of different people they agreed to a refund and I sent them back. Seems like a 100 dollar mirror jacked up because it has a couple of custom LEDs on it.

Reaction score
What's the point of putting a switch on the passenger door? Gonna have your imaginary friend adjust it for ya? Lol.
Good question - if I get powered mirrors, I don't want to wind the wired through the door wire bundle, under the dash, through the driver side door wiring bundle to hook up to the mirror controller. Yeah, I could just go with manual adjustments. But the price of the powered mirrors is not much more, the switch is $10. So I, or my passenger, can adjust the mirror without getting out. May not be an install that is the best, but it gets the job done simply.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good question - if I get powered mirrors, I don't want to wind the wired through the door wire bundle, under the dash, through the driver side door wiring bundle to hook up to the mirror controller. Yeah, I could just go with manual adjustments. But the price of the powered mirrors is not much more, the switch is $10. So I, or my passenger, can adjust the mirror without getting out. May not be an install that is the best, but it gets the job done simply.
I'm a little lost. Not trying to beat you up but if you convert to power mirrors then you can just adjust from the driver side. If your friend wants to drive he can jump in the driver seat and adjust it to their liking. Nobody has to get out unless your switching to drive?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ask because you cannot sit in the driver's seat and successfully adjust the mirror from the passenger side, it'll require a bunch of back and forth, which defeats the purpose of having power adjustment to begin with. If you've got a passenger, well, you don't need power adjustment on that side anyway....

Regardless, it's your truck, do what makes you happy!

Reaction score
I'm a little lost. Not trying to beat you up but if you convert to power mirrors then you can just adjust from the driver side. If your friend wants to drive he can jump in the driver seat and adjust it to their liking. Nobody has to get out unless your switching to drive?
My truck did not come with power mirrors so there is no current wiring nor switch for control. If I want power on the driver side (which I do), the kit comes with a power passenger side. Do I leave that one manual or simply install a controller on the passenger door (to minimize install)? My truck also has a split bench seat, so sliding over to move the passenger side mirror is not a big deal. And....when you live in the PNW, you're accustomed to coping with rain :)

Reaction score
I ask because you cannot sit in the driver's seat and successfully adjust the mirror from the passenger side, it'll require a bunch of back and forth, which defeats the purpose of having power adjustment to begin with. If you've got a passenger, well, you don't need power adjustment on that side anyway....

Regardless, it's your truck, do what makes you happy!
Your question makes sense. But typing all the parameters makes it more difficult to communicate an idea. See my previous reply to SUBURBAN5 - if i buy a power KIT, it will come with a passenger side powered mirror. If my truck doesn't currently have the wiring built in, I have to figure out whether to leave the passenger side manual or take advantage of the power function. Installing a cheap controller on the door panel gives me that function. Yeah when alone, I'd have to slide across the bench seat, but once set, I doubt that side will be moved much. Except when I've towed before, there have been times I wanted to see what some ******* was doing in a lane beside me.

Rich