GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ha that key thing threw me off when I bought my 94, I was like wtf two different types. Then I quickly realized the black one was door only. I like it though.

I had remote entry on my 96.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I miss my remote entry, my battery died so I took the fob of my key ring only to misplace it in my house somewhere.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Ha that key thing threw me off when I bought my 94, I was like wtf two different types. Then I quickly realized the black one was door only. I like it though.

I had remote entry on my 96.

:think:

My black one is for the ignition, silver is for door.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
wtf maybe canadians are backwards :lol:

something to do with different sets of keys.

My main set:
Black Rubber- Ign
Metal (No Cover)- Door

Spare Set:
Metal (No Cover)- Ign
Cut Key- Door

i bet they gave out two sets when you bought it new, probably one was a set of metal keys and the other was rubber black ones.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm I have both sets of keys, but I didnt notice that yet. I'll have to double check.

What was yours butch?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I had two sets, the original set that came with the truck both factory black rubber coated then a bare set I had cut, with both sets the round one was for the door and rectangular one for ign. (I think).

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 got the rounded ones.

Ok. Some info I was looking at said "upgraded remote entry system" so I wasn't sure if that included the new fob shape or not and I don't recall ever seeing a '97 fob.

I had two sets, the original set that came with the truck both factory black rubber coated then a bare set I had cut, with both sets the round one was for the door and rectangular one for ign. (I think).

Correct. Round for the door and rectangular for the ignition. Both keys are black on both sets of keys for my '94. The keys are both blue on my main set for my '91. :cool: