Gmt 900 shifter swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Alright this is the first time I've tried to discribe how to do something let me know if you have any questions. Sorry I only took a pic of the final product.

Alright so I went to the junkyard in search of rods and a handle for my driver side door, didn't find them but I did find a 2007 tahoe and I have wanted to do this for a while so I got I think it's a T15 or 20 torx bit and pulled it off. I suggest using a ratchet and a bit because it was like they put A whole 10lbs of loc-tite on it. But it's just one set screw and pull the tow/haul connector (2 wires, both orange).

Next the 900 handle is the opposite shaft then the 400 so you have to take that to a bench grinder and grind a falt spot in the opposite side, then you might notice that the 900 handle has more of an angle on it so I just cut a little relif in it with my die grinder, threw it into the vise, and gave it some good old elbow grease. After a little but of jb weld to fill the cut back up, let that dry a little. While i let it dry I ran some wires for my tool box lights because I'm pretty sure that's just like a toggle swith. I'm not sure yet I will get back on that one in a few. I would think so because you don't have to hold it for the tow/haul to work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Next pull the grommet off your gmt 400 shifter handle and the set screw of this one is one the Bottom, on the 900 it's on the top. It's the same torx as the 900. And install the 900 handle wire up whatever you want to it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think you'll find that switch is the momentary contact, normally open, style. Not a toggle. And it's definitely not rated for a load, nor is its wiring.

Richard

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yea I wasn't real sure about the switch I ended up just running my lights back to a toggle bc I just figured out what he just said lol
But that woulda been cool. Maybe get a ooooggga horn idk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yes I will. I'm grocery shopping right now give me 30- 45 min what do you wanna see? Just an overall? Or up close on something?