Gauge needles. One thing leads too another! Damn!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So, I picked up a set of needles out of a 'Montana'.

These...

You must be registered for see images attach

and here's what they look like, installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

They weren't that hard to 'dial in'. Pulled the cluster, removed the clear plastic cover, then re-installed the gauge cluster. Let the truck warm up, then, one by one, removed the needles on the right hand side of the speedo & replaced them with the Montana needles. Found out that I had to shorten the recievers for the gauge pins on the back of the new needles by about half. Just cut off the length with some side cutters, then re-opened the holes with a needle. 3 outa 4, I managed to nail the positions dead on. Had to mess with the fuel gauge a bit, but it's good now.
When it came to doing the tach, I had a bit more of a problem. Found that if the needle is out by the width of a hair at idle, it was out by as much as 1000rpm @ 4000rpm. So, off to my buddy's shop. Put a meter that has a tach on it, then rev'd the engine to 2000rpm & held it there while I installed the gauge. Got it dead on, the first try! (what are the odds?)
Now, for the speedo. I downoaded a GPS speedo app to my iphone, then went for a drive. Took the truck up to 60mph as per the GPS, and stuck the needle on. Came out perfect! Too easy!
Pulled the cluster out, replaced the plastic screen, & re-assmbled the dash. Done.

So, I'm lovin' the new needles. During the day.
At night, not so much. Because the Montana has a white gauge face, & our trucks have black, the needles don't glow right up to the ends, unless I have the rheostat cranked up the the brightest setting. But...I have always set my dash lights at the lowest setting I can get. I find that the bright setting is distracting, & annoying! So when I set the brightness of the gauges where I prefer them, only 1/4-1/3 of the needles are visible. And that's right down at the pivot point. Grrr!
I know that the larger bulbs on the backside of the cluster (194's) can be replaced with LED's, but they are either on or off. No adjustment in brightness. Not what I want. There are other small bulbs in the cluster, and I believe these to be for the various 'idiot' lights.
So here's my question. Which of these lights light up the needles? Can I just replace those with LED's. I'm not worried about not being able to adjust the brightness of those, because as it is now, the needles look the best at the brightest setting. If they remained as bright as some of the other LED gauge swaps that I've seen, all the time, it wouldn't bother me. But, I still want to be able to adjust the brightness of the gauges themselves. Is it possible to just change whatever bulbs that light up the needles with LED's, keep the other original bulbs for the gauges, & still retain the ability to adjust the brightness of the gauges?
Too much to hope/ask for?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needles look good installed, I can't help with the light question though....

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. I was waiting for you to post this when you mentioned it a couple days ago. Looks like the RPM/speedo needles could be a bit longer also.

Try asking truckinaint4sissies I think he added leds around the needles to light them up more.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea, took a couple of days to get around to posting. Computer was ill, so I was using M&D's. Coudn't download the pics.
They ARE shorter needles, & that made the larger needles a real pain to get right.
Hope truckin' sees this post & has a clue or two on what to do.
The needles are white on the backside. Think this may have something to do with how they glow. Would removing that white make them brighter?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, took a couple of days to get around to posting. Computer was ill, so I was using M&D's. Coudn't download the pics.
They ARE shorter needles, & that made the larger needles a real pain to get right.
Hope truckin' sees this post & has a clue or two on what to do.
The needles are white on the backside. Think this may have something to do with how they glow. Would removing that white make them brighter?

the guages and needles glow from the same bulbs. The only way to have them seperate is a custom retro-fit

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys.
I've seen, somewhere, a dash that had been modded so that the needles were lit from behind, just not a GMT400. Thought it looked pretty cool, but I didn't pay close attention, 'cause I never thought that I'd be in the situation to need to know how to do it.
Sending PM off to 'truckin'.