Gas Tank Straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've run into the age old problem of New England, my gas tank straps rotted away (along with the frame, whoops!) Along with the rotted gas tank straps the gas tank also had seen better days.

I got a new Spectre tank and some straps but the straps are very difficult to make reach around this aftermarket tank.

What solutions have you guys found to strap the tank down to the original forward bracket?

I was thinking some steel cable with tie downs torqued down to hold things in place

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I got a Spectre tank and a set of straps from Dorman, They fit good, but I needed longer bolts to get them started. The bolts that came with them were just too short.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly! an additional inch or two of length out of the bolt would do the trick. I'm not sure the style on the doorman straps but the ones that I have, the bolt is riveted down to the end of the strap. A threaded sleeve with an additional threaded rod would work out in my favor but I'm afraid it wont torque down far enough to have a secure hold.

How did you go about replacing the bolt on yours?

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is my attempted solution to the issue at hand, 3/8th threaded rod and an accompanying joining nut. I've got to get some day light before attempting this one.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Ah, you have a short bed. Mine is a long bed. The bolts just come out. The speed clips slip on the frame cross members. So installing longer bolts was no big deal.