Gas fuel Tank capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hey guys,

I question me that there are two different fuel tanks in the nineth Generation Suburban , 40 gallons for The Little 5.7 an a bigger ohne for the 7.4 ?!

Sorry for my bad english :-/ , greetings feim Germany

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
My 5.7L has a 42 gallon tank, which i believe to be the largest one offered.

Dang! I didn't even know there was one that big, I always thought it was 25 or 32? Those sizes could be wrong.

Could that 42 be put in a pickup where the spare tire is on a short bed? I know the 32(?) can only be put in place of a 25 if its a long bed.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang! I didn't even know there was one that big, I always thought it was 25 or 32? Those sizes could be wrong.

Could that 42 be put in a pickup where the spare tire is on a short bed? I know the 32(?) can only be put in place of a 25 if its a long bed.
I'm not sure if it would fit a short bed. Mine is a Suburban, which is built on the same frame as a RCLB truck. The tank is right about where I would expect a spare tire to go if mine wasn't mounted in the rear cargo space, it fits right between the frame rails and has a giant skid plate under it. I love having it for road trips, I drove 1200 miles and only had to stop for gas once.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rock Auto lists the same tank for a K1500 5.7L Suburban as a K2500 7.4L Suburban, so no difference in tank size, both are 42 gallons.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the highway I average about 15mpg, which is just over 600 miles on a tank. In city it's more like 12mpg, which is around 500.

I didn't think the burbs, with their weight and the aerodynamics of a brick, got great mileage... but that's still not bad!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't think the burbs, with their weight and the aerodynamics of a brick, got great mileage... but that's still not bad!
They are pigs, but not as bad as you might expect for being almost 25, weghing 5k+ pounds, and having a v8. My burb is the least fuel efficient of the three vehicles in my household, but it's the road trip vehicle because of comfort, and the fact that the tbi 5.7 is so damn simple to work on.