Gah I need help with wheels and tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
From the beginning, December 21st 2013 I totaled my 05 gmc sierra crew cab 3/4 ton. I loved the hell out of that truck. I turned around and bought my uncles 1994 chevy k1500 extended cab long bed. Big change. Well since I bought my uncles truck I have bought a house and have a 24 mile commute every day to work, 5 times a week tops. I hunt and fish regularly its nothing to bail a buddy out a couple times a month when they are "sunk to the axle, stuck". HAHAHA

The truck is now getting close to 400,000 miles. The odometer does not work neither does the trip. My uncle bought the truck new in 94, so it means something to him. The odometer stopped at 194,*** (cant remember exactly). He was also a business owner and had to track his mileage for his business. Whether or not the mileage is close lets assume its worn out. I have paint missing all over the bed rails. Cruise and air conditioner is broke. This was a work truck. Definitely not a show truck. He pulled a work trailer all day, every day. The truck has its problems but I wanna keep it and make her enjoyable to drive while I have her. So i can spend most my extra money on my house. I have already added tow mirrors and lights. Detailed the inside(which he kept super clean to some of the other obs i have seen) It is a good ole truck.

Now for the fun part,

I need tires. I am running 285/75/16 right now. With some aluminum aftermarket wheels that are 16x8(I think). When I slightly turn right and hit the slightest dip, It rubs the crap out of the outside of my drivers side tire on the front bumper. I would guess I have about an 1.250" left to crank. Not sure whats worn, torn, or just flat out broke.It rides great, I have a little bit of play in the steering wheel but not too much. But one more inch of crank should fix my rub and not make my ride much harder... But im no expert.

Now I absolutely do not wanna spend anymore than $1500 on new tires. This doesnt mean I have to spend all of it! Less is good.. hahaha! I would like some mud tires for this up coming hunting season. I am not sure if I wanna just replace mine(285/75/16) or go with a 33x12.50x15..? I have found some websites that will get me new rims and tires for not much more money than I would spend buying just tires. I really like the first MT Sidebiters that came out. And I like the MTZ's too. But im open to options and ideas and thats why im here. Cheapos? Bigger with body lift? I have $1500 max.. how would you spend it..? Knowing what I know about this truck..?

I tried to add as many details so you guys can help and not have to ask so many questions. But I know im forgetting some valuable info.

Now here is the catch: When/If I sell the truck I have to sell it back to my uncle, or atleast offer it to him first. He isnt made of money and I wouldnt wanna make money off him. He is my uncle. I could add tires, take em off and put his original ones back on.. But I dont wanna assume I will get my money back. I got the truck for a steal, he practically gave me the truck with the title and everything.

I think thats pretty much it... Lemme hear it! hahaha

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I'd just keep the 285s and crank a little bit just make sure you keep an eye on your angles I think you can have two ribs on your cv axle touching before you start eating front ends. Tire wise everyone on here will tell you Goodyear duratracs are the way to go but if you don't want to spend that money falken wildpeaks are an excellent runner up. I have them in a 33 12.50 15 and they wear excellent

Sent my 3/4 ton iPhone

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned above, duratracs are amazing tires. I picked up a set of 32x11.5r15 for my canyon for just under 1000 shipped to canada from discounttiredirect.Com

Wildpeaks are a good tire too but I've found they wear like crazy, especially on gravel.

Toyo open country m/t are probably my favorite mud tire for both functionality and durability but you definitely pay for them.

I would stay with your 285s and add a bit of crank or do a hockey puck lift if you don't want to change your ride.

Reaction score
Okay thanks guys! I did some research and like the looks and reviews of the duratracs. And it sounds like the best bang for my buck!

LiftedVictory

Reaction score
If you do change wheels, make sure you have at least 4 inches of back space, otherwise you may run into contact issues with the control arms. At least I did.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If you do change wheels, make sure you have at least 4 inches of back space, otherwise you may run into contact issues with the control arms. At least I did.
No when trying to fit big tires on these you want the closest to stock backspacing you can get

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
As mentioned above, duratracs are amazing tires. I picked up a set of 32x11.5r15 for my canyon for just under 1000 shipped to canada from discounttiredirect.Com

Wildpeaks are a good tire too but I've found they wear like crazy, especially on gravel.

Toyo open country m/t are probably my favorite mud tire for both functionality and durability but you definitely pay for them.

I would stay with your 285s and add a bit of crank or do a hockey puck lift if you don't want to change your ride.

What in the world is a hockey puck lift? Lol

Sent my 3/4 ton iPhone