G80 Code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
of my g80 failures, 5 of them were 14b ff and 2 10b.

this guy is a god

Actually, it says 454ss as his name, so if I had to guess he might have a very very high HP engine and tears them up from drag racing. He must like them because he keeps sticking them back in. The proof is in the pudding.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
burnouts, mudding, hill climbs ect. like i said 2 were replaced under warranty when my 97k3500 was new and when it went the third time out of warranty i put a detroit in it and have had zero problems since. the other two were in my lifted 78 k25, blew one, got a free one, blew that then put open carrier in and welded it. the 10 bolts were in a 89k1500 and a 96k1500 and they were replaced with junkyard open carriers. when the covers were removed they all looked to be half full of metal debris and all the 14bff i replaced myself had the carrier cracked all the way around on the side opposite the ring gear. 2 of them also needed new r&p also as they were missing teeth.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im at 470K on my 14B SF with the original G80 and Im pretty hard on it. Seems to be holding up lol

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
suprisingly the g80 in my dads 90 k2500 plow truck is holding up ok, it started making a clunk noise a few years ago around 150k so he rebuilt it and its been like new. probably would of been fine the way it was for what little miles he puts on it now but at the time it was his dd and he was pullin a 5th wheel with a boat behind it so he wanted to be safe.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
burnouts, mudding, hill climbs ect. like i said 2 were replaced under warranty when my 97k3500 was new and when it went the third time out of warranty i put a detroit in it and have had zero problems since. the other two were in my lifted 78 k25, blew one, got a free one, blew that then put open carrier in and welded it. the 10 bolts were in a 89k1500 and a 96k1500 and they were replaced with junkyard open carriers. when the covers were removed they all looked to be half full of metal debris and all the 14bff i replaced myself had the carrier cracked all the way around on the side opposite the ring gear. 2 of them also needed new r&p also as they were missing teeth.

Wow. No offence but I would never lend you my truck...:lol:

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im not bragging or tryin to show off, just my opinion that they are not the strongest unit out there and far from it, haha. im not computer savy or id take some pics of a broken one or two that's probably still laying in the shop.

Goldhawg

Reaction score
My new to me 99 Tahoe 4wd doesn't have G80, even though its a Z71. How hard is it to get a posi out of a j/y to fit? What vehicles will work w/10bolt on OBS? I'd like a posi for the snow when I'm not in 4WD. Thoughts? Or is this upgrade not worth the pain?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
My new to me 99 Tahoe 4wd doesn't have G80, even though its a Z71. How hard is it to get a posi out of a j/y to fit? What vehicles will work w/10bolt on OBS? I'd like a posi for the snow when I'm not in 4WD. Thoughts? Or is this upgrade not worth the pain?

I'm going to go the route everybody else on this forum is going to tell you: don't bother with a 10 bolt, get a 14. The G80 on those isn't the greatest in the world either, but is a lot stronger than a 10.

To answer your question, I'm assuming you're talking about swapping the whole housing? Anything out of an "obs" (GMT-400) will bolt in but you may need to modify it if you have rear swaybar. Yes, they do work better in the snow but, worth the work? No, not when considering you are going to a known unreliable setup. Ideally, get a 14 bolt out of an HD 1500 or LD 2500 (with 6 bolt hubs) and swap it in. G80, open, or aftermarket locker. Your choice.
Considering it's basically the same amount of work to swap it in, and would be a far, far better setup, even for a street rig. Downsides? Basically none other than cost and difficulty to find, but you should be able to find one for around $500 depending on where you live. Maybe less.

Taylor did a great writeup and there is quite a bit of follow-up info in this thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?16839-14-Bolt-Swap-How-to

Have fun!