Fuse voltage question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billys44s

Reaction score
I was wondering how many volts each fuse pushes out, I’m wiring up some lights and a buddy suggested to wire it to the heat ac fuse, my question is does that fuse push out 12 volts or do I need to run it into a different fuse?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I was wondering how many volts each fuse pushes out, I’m wiring up some lights and a buddy suggested to wire it to the heat ac fuse, my question is does that fuse push out 12 volts or do I need to run it into a different fuse?

Fuses do not "push out voltage" they control/protect the amperage load of the circuit.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, like the previous post, the fuse protects from overloading a circuit, it doesn't regulate voltage, that's what the voltage regulator on the alternator does, as well as the PCM, but that's a different story. Don't run lights on an existing circuit, you're likely to overload it if the lights put out any power at all. Run it independently using an inline fuse rated for the output of the lights you're running plus maybe 10% for losses over the wire. If you're running HIDs, then buy a kit which should include the ballasts and fuses necessary to run safely. Based on your question, I'm guessing that this is your first major electrical project, nothing wrong with that, everybody has to start somewhere, but I think you should do some research, you can cause some issues if you don't do it correctly. Depending on the size of the lights you're installing you may need to upgrade other components such as your alternator or your power and ground wires. I recommend upgrading those regardless, as even some of your stock equipment can gain from upgrading your wiring, and the stock alternator really doesn't have a lot of headroom for electrical upgrades. There's an excellent 225A alternator available from summit racing that I have in my truck, runs my 2 amps just fine, and I don't anticipate needing to upgrade when I put my LED bars on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk