Fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can handle 120psi, my 5.7 Vortec requires 63psi. Not sure I’m following you.
Sorry, the EP381 will support up to 450HP at 155LPH, that Walbro is 105LPH. I'm getting close to 435HP (according to Blue Print Dyno) so I want some wiggle room. OP may not be putting out that much so, your pump will probably work fine.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m obviously nowhere near 435HP. Walbro are known for there reliability and to me gear pumps are just a better design. My previous Delphi pump crapped out in 2 years. Holding them side by side, the Walbro was much heavier, for whatever that’s worth, just seemed a much better built pump. Also, how many counterfeit other brands do you see? Lots of fake Walbro’s. Only buy a Walbro from legit sellers. That tells you something right there.

Last edited:

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I put in a carquest pump as I was stranded. It works, the truck runs, I'm happy.
I guess nobody has any idea of why the gauge jumps when I foot the brake pedal. Hunh?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old is the sender or was that replaced with the pump? The float probably dips when you brake. Or your tank baffle has come loose.

Last edited:

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New with pump. Looked inside when I was changing it out and noticed nothing odd. Was acting whacky will sitting still as well. I hate electrical gremlins.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What truck is this in?
Yes, because it matters - year, model, engine, etc. any relevant info so we don't have to guess.

I seem to remember @someotherguy talking about this, I think it was on another forum though. He mentioned it being the baffling.
The TBI tanks have a baffle tray that sometimes can come loose as it's just held to the tank floor with push nuts onto studs, sometimes rust they away. Early Vortec truck tanks - 96 and some 97 - are the same design. Sometime during 97 the trucks switched to the plastic trash can pump/sender assembly that the assembly is its own baffle. As far as I know, all the Vortec SUV's are this way as they switched first.

If it's a baffle tray tank I'd suspect the baffle may be loose.

On either style setup.. gas gauge fluctuating on braking could be a dash ground issue.

Richard