Fuel pump issues(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

folkles

Reaction score
i just picked up a 1997 k1500 with a 5.7. It has a new motor in it with around 100k. The fuel gauge isn't correct and the guy I got it from put a new fuel pump in it and left the bolt off of the front strap, and when I changed the fuel filter (which was on backwards with a loose fitting) a bunch of black crap came out of one side of the filter. So today I go to the gas station and it dies when I turn out on to the street and when I got to the gas station it wouldn't start again. I don't think the pump is priming but I'm not sure it is doing that because of the pump or something else. Fuses all good.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What side of the filter did the black crap come out of? Inlet or outlet? If you don't have a pressure gauge try cracking a line to see if your getting fuel. You should be able to hear the pump humming when you turn your key to the on position.

folkles

Reaction score
Black stuff came out of the tank side. I'm not getting fuel and it's not humming. I put my power probe to the grey wire and could hear the pump priming. New oil pressure switch as well.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Disconnect the outlet of the fuel filter and turn the key to see if you have fuel leaving the filter. If no pull the filter off and check again. If still no then there my be more black stuff in your lines, your pump may not be pumping or your fuel sock may be clogged.