Fuel pressure within spec but won't fire without starting fluid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been working on getting my 1998 K1500 back on the road after almost 10 months of being torn apart. I installed a new fuel tank and pump earlier this year. The thing just refuses to fire without any starting fluid. I spray a little bit down the throttle body the engine acts like it wants it to to for a second. I'm getting about 63-65 psi at the service port according to my fuel pressure gauge. Currently working on getting new plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor installed. It's almost like no fuel is getting to the engine. Any ideas with these small block Vortecs?

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull a plug and turn the motor over to see if you get gas smell inside the cylinder. You could also check the plugs to see if they are wet. If not you have two of the three elements for running, spark and air. It wants to start so you have spark, now it may be weak but if no fuel that don't matter at this point.

I know you have pressure from the pump, but it may not be going through the injectors. It could be the fuel controller not giving the command to spray to the injectors.

Just my thoughts on the subject. If I am not entirely correct someone please give me a cliff note.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold. If it is open then it will read -40 and it would be too rich to fire. Too much resistance and it will be too lean.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check out everything you guys suggested. Working on it tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help!

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Success! She's purring like a smitten kitten my friends. Dumbest problem ever, looked to see if there were any engine codes on a whim, no communication between the Bluetooth adapter and ECU. Pulled the engine computer out and it turns out the red plug harness wasn't seated all the way in, maybe back of a millimeter or two tops, just enough to prevent any communication. Made sure it was seated and locked in, went to fire it up and started immediately. Runs as good as ever. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I'm over here kicking myself for overlooking something so simple.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Dont kick yourself to hard, weve all been there lol. I had a tiny tiny crack in a dizzy cap that kicked my ass until i took it to a shop. I even pulled it off and checked it out and i didnt see a crack.