fuel pressure help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i installed a vortec pump in my tank and have an issue. i need to get 18psi at the tbi but am currently getting too much.

i am getting 30psi. i have the regulator turned all the way down. i checked the return line and port and they are both clear.
only thing i can think of is the diaphragm. i replaced it but think there is an issue with it.

any ideas?

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Tbi is not setup fer a vortec pump. The diaphram was never designed to handle that kind of pressure. u will need to cap off the stock reg and install an adjustable one that will handle the 18psi to run the tbi. or return to a tbi pump( cheaper)

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
why in the world would you ever need 18psi to begin with, 13 is enough to run a decent big block on tbi so you would be fine with a standard pump

X-Cutioner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the vortec pump out of that tank
you may have already damaged the injectors or regulator

the only way you can get the vortec pump to run that tbi is to install an external regulator
the factory regulator can not regulate that much pressure

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can run a vortec pump on a tbi. many paople do. infact some later 95 tbi trucks came from the factory with vortec pumps.

i am not asking if i can run it i am asking for help on why my presure is too high?

i need the 18psi to feed the motor without having to buy 454 injectors. this is a very common thing to do on larger motors running tbi. guys do this on f body cars all the time many running at 13-15 psi.

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
am not asking if i can run it i am asking for help on why my presure is too high?

your using a pump that pressures up for a 60psi system in a system that was designed to handle 9-13psi... just sayin

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your pressures are too high because the stock regulator can't handle the volume of fuel the vortec pump puts out. All you need is an external regulator and set it at what you want.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
All those folks runnin vortec pumps on tbi motors have an adjustable regulator w/a capped stock reg. NO rubber diaphram. U can do it WITH the proper regulation.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I don't get it. my manager has a TBI 350 and only had 10psi at key on... replaced pump and had 50= psi at key on and it ran better then ever...?

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes stock tbi pumps are hardly enought to supply a stock motor. so putting a pump out of a vortec helps you get better fueling as long as you adjust it down to around 13 for a stock motor. that is what was wrong with my stock tbi pump it would only pump 10 psi,and i need 18