Fuel injectors 101

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on a series of write ups on the function and dynamics of fuel injectors, everything from the basic, to the advanced, I've only got a couple sections done right now, but there are more coming soon. I was going to re-post some of it over here but its WAY too long to re-post, and I've only got a portion of it written as of yet. anyways, if you're interested, check 'em out. here is the table of contents with links to the sections that are complete so far.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/fuelinjectors/Fuel-Injector-Series.html

Planning on getting at least 2-3 more sections up really soon (like within the week or so), but I thought some might find it interesting.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate the post like this that you make. I understand how much time and effort you put into these so the rest of us don't have to do all the leg work that you already have. Don't think you go unnoticed.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
If you would like I can screenshot both basic and advanced tables to use as a diagram from SCT Advantage.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, glad it's helpful.

Tempted, thats a possibility, I've got a dynamics section, injector selection section, as well as a tuning section coming up, most of my tuning info will be EFILive based, but it might be nice to show some shots from a different suite. I've still got to write up a bit though, so let me get back to you on it.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Just let me know. I can give it a little GMT400 flair for an operatic effect.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great stuff man. I'm starting to realize how much I still don't know.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks, this one is probably the last in the 'how do they work' type of sections, the next ones are going to be about choosing the right injectors, and how to tune the PCM for different injectors...

then later this year I'm going to build a testing rig and test injectors to build a database for the hard to find values of whatever injectors people would like to have tested.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, most of it's not really an issue with us TBI guys. We don't have any injector choices but it's good to know how they work I guess, as we can adjust pulse widths I believe. How about answering some questions on how Fuel Pressure affects injector flow rate since this is how we get more fuel usually.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, the articles are definitely written about port injectors, not really TBI, but they work on the same priciples, and your tuning options are much more limited with OBDI stuff.

if you have any specific questions on how pressure affects the flow rate I can help out...I'll touch on that in the next section since the operating pressure is a large factor in the flow rate calculations, but feel free to ask any questions if you have any and I'll try to answer them.