fuel gauge issue/problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

project 67 sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not exactly sure if this belongs here or not, since i don't know where else to post it lol. but i have an issue/problem with my gas gauge in my 1990 c1500 not reading correctly. it used to at one time, but randomly just stopped reading correctly one day. when i have a full tank of gas, it will only go up to 1/4 tank. i figured it may be the sending unit had went bad, so i bought another one to replace it with for $65. got it all swapped out and buttoned up and it didn't change a thing or fix my problem, so that was a waste of money i didn't really have to spend. lol. and both sending units went to full if i had key on, and disconnected the electrical plug from them as well, and ground is good. so i don't know what could be wrong. it sucks not having an accurate gas gauge too, not that my speedo, or odometer are correct either (never were), but thats a whole other story... but anyways, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an this same issue after I replaced a leaky sending unit. When the truck is turned off, does it read way below empty? If so you can try pulling the gas gauge needle from the cluster, turn the key on so you have power to the cluster and place the needle back on the gauge to the appropriate reading according to how much fuel you have. This is easiest done if the tank is pretty much empty to ensure an accurate reading. If this isn't the case for you, maybe the stepper motor in the gauge is bad?

project 67 sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have those half moon gauges in my truck, no needle gauges. lol. and when the truck is off (key not on) it stays in the same position as while it was on and running (well maybe slightly higher when off). but it never reads over 1/4 tank even when i fill it past full. when i have 1/2 a tank of gas, the gauge reads approximately 1/8 of a tank on the gauge, and so on and so forth

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh ok, I personally don't know much about the other gauges. Just giving my insight on the issue considering I had almost the same exact problem. Like I mentioned in the last post towards the end, given that all of the gauges have they're own seperate stepper motor like mine does, maybe it's going bad? I can't help too much more other than that, sorry man.

project 67 sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks, and its ok. any and all help is appreciated. and that's a possibility. are they cheap, and easy to change of whatever? i've never messed with the gauges in these trucks, or any truck for that matter. other than putting autometer ones in my other truck. lol

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure on price and I think it's just 4 torx head bolts on the back, I'd have to double check mine. Yours may be slightly different. Before buying a new one, I'd test one or two from a junkyard. I'm honestly not even sure if you can buy just the motor. Never had to myself.