Front End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been a week full of problems...

Have a rotational thud coming from my drivers side wheel that speeds up as I accelerate, and slows down as I decelerate but only makes noise while coasting. Seems to completely go away when I've got my foot on the gas. I thought it could be the wheel bearing, so I replaced both inner and outer bearings today on the drivers side and the noise is still there. I've checked all my lug nuts, the wheels aren't loose in the slightest. Now I'm shooting blanks as to what the problem could be. Anybody have any ideas?

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 wd or 4x4? If 2wd and it's not a wheel bearing, check the u-joints real well. Best way I've found to check them is to get a couple heavy duty screwdrivers between the yokes and pry from every angle. Any movement/shifting is cause for replacement.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's a 2WD. Would that be cause for the noise during coasting only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 wd or 4x4? If 2wd and it's not a wheel bearing, check the u-joints real well. Best way I've found to check them is to get a couple heavy duty screwdrivers between the yokes and pry from every angle. Any movement/shifting is cause for replacement.

Update: Noise is at its very worst when I'm not foot off the gas coasting, but foot on the gas with very minimal pressure. Driveshaft?

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Have a rotational thud coming from my drivers side wheel that speeds up as I accelerate, and slows down as I decelerate but only makes noise while coasting
So it only makes noise while you're coasting/lightly pressing on the gas? Or does it always make a sound when you're accelerating or decelerating? If the noise occurs constant with the engine speed while in gear, I'd suggest checking the u-joints for play and/or checking to see if a weight fell off of your driveshaft. An easy way to tell if a weight fell off of your driveshaft is to look for any shiny/cleaner metal on the driveshaft that looks like something was there before.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said it's coming from your drivers side wheel. Did you get your wheels balanced anytime soon when you heard this noise occur? If so, a wheel weight might be hitting your caliper.

Last edited:

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's a 2WD. Would that be cause for the noise during coasting only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very possible. A u-joint develops play when it goes dry and the needle bearings get chewed up. Last one that I had go bad was on my '01 F250 w/7.3 PSD. With the diesel engine I didn't hear the u-joint noise until I happened to be driving next to a concrete wall with my passenger side window down. It sounded very much like it was coming from the front wheel. I didn't find any play by shaking or twisting the driveshaft by hand. It only showed when I pried the yokes with screwdrivers, and then it only moved about 1/16" inch. It doesn't take much play in a u-joint to make noise and cause trouble but once the noise starts it tends to deteriorate quickly and can lead to other problems such vibration and eventually wearing out the yokes.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it only makes noise while you're coasting/lightly pressing on the gas? Or does it always make a sound when you're accelerating or decelerating? If the noise occurs constant with the engine speed while in gear, I'd suggest checking the u-joints for play and/or checking to see if a weight fell off of your driveshaft. An easy way to tell if a weight fell off of your driveshaft is to look for any shiny/cleaner metal on the driveshaft that looks like something was there before.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said it's coming from your drivers side wheel. Did you get your wheels balanced anytime soon when you heard this noise occur? If so, a wheel weight might be hitting your caliper.

Tires are just under a year old. Were balanced when I had them mounted. Had never had any issues like this before until the last couple months. Before/after a rotation as well. I don't think that would be our issue but you never know. I'll have to do a closer inspection.

Very possible. A u-joint develops play when it goes dry and the needle bearings get chewed up. Last one that I had go bad was on my '01 F250 w/7.3 PSD. With the diesel engine I didn't hear the u-joint noise until I happened to be driving next to a concrete wall with my passenger side window down. It sounded very much like it was coming from the front wheel. I didn't find any play by shaking or twisting the driveshaft by hand. It only showed when I pried the yokes with screwdrivers, and then it only moved about 1/16" inch. It doesn't take much play in a u-joint to make noise and cause trouble but once the noise starts it tends to deteriorate quickly and can lead to other problems such vibration and eventually wearing out the yokes.

I'll have to check out the driveshaft. I tried to stick my head out the window the other day to see if I could hear the noise outside and couldn't seem to hear anything. Only really from inside the cab. I'll try and take a video today while driving so you guys can have a better idea of what I'm talking about. Hopefully the noise is noticeable enough on video.

Thanks for your help fellas, hopefully we can get this figured out!

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rule of thumb. when there is a driveline or bearing noise and you are on the gas its usually a bearing or joint. it probably is not that bad yet. the reason you hear it when on the gas is because you are putting pressure on the driveline or bearing. it will get worse so you will eventually hear it no matter what.

Last edited: