Front differential swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How do i take out the axle shaft to get it off?

It's been a while, can't remember if a hog ring holds the passenger side in or not. I'm leaning toward not. Start by unbolting the housing or check YouTube. It's an easy enough swap. Just know when you go to do output seals you'll need different left and right seals. Actuator housing gets a 98 seal and pig gets a 92 seal. Took me years to figure that one out.

Brantly

Reaction score
The 98 should have the newer style motorized actuator while the 92 should have the thermal. You can swap your 98 motorized style into the older differential. You need a spacer that installs before the actuator and you may have to grind a little flashing off the old differential to install it. The spacer is available in the conversion kit for the older style diff with the wiring harness (you won't need the harness) or as part of a kit with a new actuator. I don't know if you can get the spacer alone. You can also eliminate the actuator with the solid bolt style.
Im fairly green on these parts in terms of what they look like and such. Is there any way you could give me a Ppart number or website i could find these on?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Im fairly green on these parts in terms of what they look like and such. Is there any way you could give me a Ppart number or website i could find these on?

Snag us a pic of your donor and we can draw on it.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The actuator that comes off your 98 differential should be the same as Dorman 600-101. The harness and spacer should come up under Dorman 600-600 (spacer is round puck at center of pic that I have seen). You can find videos online showing 8.25 differential rebuild or passenger side axle seal replacement that show disassembly of the axle tube and internal parts. Supercharged111’s suggestion of posting a pick is good also.

Actuator eliminator can be found as Standard Motor TCA19

Last edited:

Brantly

Reaction score
Snag us a pic of your donor and we can draw on it.
this is the one im trying to instal which is a 91'. my stock diff in my 98' does not have the extra wire and connection on top and i will have nothing to plug it into

You must be registered for see images attach

Brantly

Reaction score
The actuator that comes off your 98 differential should be the same as Dorman 600-101. The harness and spacer should come up under Dorman 600-600 (spacer is round puck at center of pic that I have seen). You can find videos online showing 8.25 differential rebuild or passenger side axle seal replacement that show disassembly of the axle tube and internal parts. Supercharged111’s suggestion of posting a pick is good also.

Actuator eliminator can be found as Standard Motor TCA19
this is the one im trying to instal which is a 91'. my stock diff in my 98' does not have the extra wire and connection on top and i will have nothing to plug it into

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can ignore the extra connector, 98 doesn't use it. Those bolts with the yellow heads are the ones I zapped off to swap actuator housings.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is that actuator with the blue rag taped on the one that came with the 91? If so, it looks like it has already been converted from the thermal to motorized actuator.