Front differential swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brantly

Reaction score
I bought a 8.25" from a 1992 k1500 PU to put into my 1998 k1500 PU because the gears match my rear. I realized after buying it that the 92' diff that i bought has what i believe to be a thermal actuator or some kind of actuator that my stock 98' differential does not have which means there is an extra connection that i have nothing to plug into. I have a manual shift transfer case and i want to know how i can either bypass the actuator or what i can do to make the 92' diff compatible in my 98' truck. Any questions or comments please help!

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 98 should have the newer style motorized actuator while the 92 should have the thermal. You can swap your 98 motorized style into the older differential. You need a spacer that installs before the actuator and you may have to grind a little flashing off the old differential to install it. The spacer is available in the conversion kit for the older style diff with the wiring harness (you won't need the harness) or as part of a kit with a new actuator. I don't know if you can get the spacer alone. You can also eliminate the actuator with the solid bolt style.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped my 98 actuator housing onto a 92ish pig years ago, works just fine. You can do the opposite with yours.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped my 98 actuator housing onto a 92ish pig years ago, works just fine. You can do the opposite with yours.
I never tried it that way, I remember the spacer being supplied with the kits due to the length of the actuator being different. That is great if the spacer isn’t required. Just make sure you have full engagement of the diff.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I never tried it that way, I remember the spacer being supplied with the kits due to the length of the actuator being different. That is great if the spacer isn’t required. Just make sure you have full engagement of the diff.

I didn't just swap actuators, I took the diff apart and swapped actuator housings so that the housing and actuator matched the truck. I want to say there is an adapter harness out there to allow you to run the newer better actuator on your old style truck.

Brantly

Reaction score
The 98 should have the newer style motorized actuator while the 92 should have the thermal. You can swap your 98 motorized style into the older differential. You need a spacer that installs before the actuator and you may have to grind a little flashing off the old differential to install it. The spacer is available in the conversion kit for the older style diff with the wiring harness (you won't need the harness) or as part of a kit with a new actuator. I don't know if you can get the spacer alone. You can also eliminate the actuator with the solid bolt style.
So theres two connections on the older diff and my stock only has one, do you mean swap the big solenoid looking thing from my new one? Because the other connection is something that almost looks like a temp sensor but it has a button on the end of it and im not sure what it actually is.

Brantly

Reaction score
So theres two connections on the older diff and my stock only has one, do you mean swap the big solenoid looking thing from my new one? Because the other connection is something that almost looks like a temp sensor but it has a button on the end of it and im not sure what it actually is.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The second connection on the older diff is just a switch that you do not need connected. If you swap the axle tube like supercharged111 suggested, then you have the bases covered and use your 98 actuator. It did not even occur to me to swap the tube.

Brantly

Reaction score
The second connection on the older diff is just a switch that you do not need connected. If you swap the axle tube like supercharged111 suggested, then you have the bases covered and use your 98 actuator. It did not even occur to me to swap the tube.
Okay ill try it today, thanks for the input