front diff not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j-l-1984

Reaction score
So the 4 wheel drive hasn't worked on my 92 since I've owned it. I have checked everything from the t-case switch to the actuator including the wiring. The front drive shaft turns and the actuator works perfectly. So i've kinda narrowed it down to something internal as the pass. Side axle also seems to have way to much play in it. My question, is there anything in particular I should look for internally? Anyone else had a similar problem? I would like to get as much info as possible before I drop the front diff and tear it apart. Any help, info, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Personally i'd check the hubs first, easy enough to pull them, if it sounds like theres chunks inside the hub as you shake it around chances are she's pooched. Buddys tracker had same issue, replaced with warn hubs and would damn near climb a vertical wall.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Personally i'd check the hubs first, easy enough to pull them, if it sounds like theres chunks inside the hub as you shake it around chances are she's pooched. Buddys tracker had same issue, replaced with warn hubs and would damn near climb a vertical wall.

Are you talking about locking hubs? these trucks don't have locking hubs.

So the 4 wheel drive hasn't worked on my 92 since I've owned it. I have checked everything from the t-case switch to the actuator including the wiring. The front drive shaft turns and the actuator works perfectly. So i've kinda narrowed it down to something internal as the pass. Side axle also seems to have way to much play in it. My question, is there anything in particular I should look for internally? Anyone else had a similar problem? I would like to get as much info as possible before I drop the front diff and tear it apart. Any help, info, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

id say its got to be in the front dif. there pretty straight forward. tear it apart till you see something broken!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If any one has pulled the passenger side stub shaft out of front diff there is a washer/ spacer that can fall and not allow the 4x4 to work.

j-l-1984

Reaction score
Havent thought about that spacer, the pass. side shaft has a LOT of play in it .... To the point it will pull out till it hits the frame! Do know that the guy I got the truck from did have work done 2 the front diff but couldn't tell me exactly what was done. Said 4X4 worked for a while then stopped again. Probably why I got it so cheap!

92k1500chevy

Reaction score
Havent thought about that spacer, the pass. side shaft has a LOT of play in it .... To the point it will pull out till it hits the frame! Do know that the guy I got the truck from did have work done 2 the front diff but couldn't tell me exactly what was done. Said 4X4 worked for a while then stopped again. Probably why I got it so cheap!

I've got two front diffs, one out of a 90 and one out of my 92, that have 3.42 gears in them. Let me know if that helps you any, I can tear one apart for comparison or if you need a part!

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah...you should not be able to pull the axle shaft out since there is a circle clip that holds it in place...something is definintely wrong.

Here is a great play by play teardown of the front axle.

http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13813

Martinup

Reaction score
I have a 97 chev lifted I just sent the front diff away to put in new gears (4.88) and bearings the 4x4 worked before I sent it away and now I just put the diff in and it won't engage it just flashes the actuator works and as far as I know the guy who redid the diff was reliable any ideas what it could be??