Cast iron front diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took apart my front diff out yesterday, out of a 98 tahoe with autotrac. was it normal for the long axle housing to be cast iron and the main housing aluminum

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Diff it self is aluminium housing while the extended portion is iron.
edit: interchanged words

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diff it self is aluminium housing while the extended portion is steel.
I had bought a diff last year to prep and its side housing was aluminum, was a manual 4x4

26007700 aluminum
26061670 cast iron

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlikely to be "steel". Almost certainly cast iron.

I remember reading about the iron housing needing rework, or just plain not compatible with the newer-style electric-motor axle disconnects, when upgrading from the thermal actuator.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember reading about the iron housing needing rework, or just plain not compatible with the newer-style electric-motor axle disconnects, when upgrading from the thermal actuator.
Yes, i did not mean to type steel, it is cast iron, surprisingly it was not covered in rust

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The electronic 4x4 only has one port, the big one. The manual has second small port for the indicator status