Front Axle basic question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys.
my front axle is a mess. it needs to be probably rebuilt.
i have two basic questions.
1. can i remove the front axle ad still drive the truck?
2. is there a front axle (that is not solid) from a newer truck i can transplant?

thanks in advance.
Meir.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since these trucks have independent front suspension you've got two CV axles. The axles only have power to them when you are in 4wd. Unless they are binding, I'd just leave them in place and keep it in 2wd until you get a chance to fix it. Unless you're talking about turning it into a permanent 2wd truck, which is more work than it sounds like to do the right way.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No you can't, because you'll have to remove the CV shafts, and they hold your bearings together in your hubs.

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, and i apologize for using the wrong terms.
what i probably should have ask is if i can remove the front diff and the CV axles, and still drive the truck.
it is covered with a mixture of oil and mud, so i need to take it to be cleaned before i start working on it.
so basically yes. i need to temporarily turn the truck to a 2WD, or just rent another truck for the process.

turf

Reaction score
you can if you want to sacrifice some cvs, have to pull them apart and use the splined side to keep the bearings loaded. been running mine like this for almost a year