Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
So I made my own redneck "cold air" intake. PVC pipe over to a Spectre 10" Filter. The filter is enclosed in a plastic box to keep heat from the engine off of it. Ran the tests again (it was also warmer weather) and this is what I came up with:

CAI Spectre Filter:
Intake air temp: 46 F
MAF: ~6.5 lb/min

Previous results with a paper Fram Air Filter and ribbed air intake:

Without air box lid:
Intake air temp: 30 F
MAF: ~5.2 lb/min

With air box lid:
MAF: ~6.0 lb/min

Interesting... I should add a CAI to my mod list...

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
So I made my own redneck "cold air" intake. PVC pipe over to a Spectre 10" Filter. The filter is enclosed in a plastic box to keep heat from the engine off of it. Ran the tests again (it was also warmer weather) and this is what I came up with:

CAI Spectre Filter:

Without air box lid:

With air box lid:

Thanks for the update and comparison! It's nice to have numbers to look at. I know I may be pushing it, but if you get a chance to run them all on the same day that would be great, just to have a fair comparison

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

CAI Spectre Filter:

Without air box lid:

With air box lid:

awesome info man how did you enclose it? got any pics

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry its a crappy cellphone picture, I haven't updated to one of them nice smartphones yet.

Like I said, redneck cold air intake. Cut up a bucket that encloses the filter on 3 sides and is attached where air comes through the fender wall. May be cutting that area bigger as well for more air flow yet.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and comparison! It's nice to have numbers to look at. I know I may be pushing it, but if you get a chance to run them all on the same day that would be great, just to have a fair comparison

I'm heading back to college tomorrow so probably won't have time to get this done. Being 450+ miles away from home puts a damper on some projects. Sorry man

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry its a crappy cellphone picture, I haven't updated to one of them nice smartphones yet.

Like I said, redneck cold air intake. Cut up a bucket that encloses the filter on 3 sides and is attached where air comes through the fender wall. May be cutting that area bigger as well for more air flow yet.

dand thats some creative shizz nice work man

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I'm heading back to college tomorrow so probably won't have time to get this done. Being 450+ miles away from home puts a damper on some projects. Sorry man

Hey it's cool, I really appreciate you actually experimenting. Most people are dead set on being right instead of being curious.

And nice job on the setup, it really doesn't look bad, give it some black or aluminum paint and noone will even notice. I like the airbox, is that a Micro-Blaze jug?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
And I don't remember, did you already have your silencer capped or did you do that along with the RCAI?

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am an engineer, so I like numbers like you do. Much more concrete when you can say "Look at the numbers" rather than "I think so"

I threw some black spray paint on it and it doesn't look too bad. Sounds really good actually. The air box is an old cat litter bucket. It was a square shape which worked out perfectly

Already had the silencer capped on all of the tests.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975