Found my problem but now!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
If someone were to unbolt their tie rods, and then turn them around and bolt them back up the wrong way, then yes I can see the problem. But doing so and then correcting the alignment with the adjusters should not affect the Ackerman angles. The range of motion is unchanged.

I'm not a geometry expert, though I suppose the angle that the tie rod approaches the knuckle could affect the Ackerman principle...but I'm not sure how haha. Too much to think about on a Friday morning.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't work without flipping the center link to. The taper would be backwards an the tre wouldn't seat. I can see how it could affect it because not only is it at an angle in the horizontal plane now (center link higher than spindle which is normal) its also at an angle in the vertical plane. (inner tre further out/forward than the spindle) that's what's causing the issue in my opinion anyway but I'm no expert....

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Pretty sure the center links don't have tapered holes. They are made to let the tie rods go up and down. It's not like ball joints.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the center links don't have tapered holes. They are made to let the tie rods go up and down. It's not like ball joints.

Center link has to have tapered holes otherwise the tre would spin inside and wear the holes out.

Sent from somewhere in MN

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but come to think of it........

The pitman arm joint is tapered too right? How would that be able to be put together if the centerlink was flipped

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
but come to think of it........

The pitman arm joint is tapered too right? How would that be able to be put together if the centerlink was flipped

this is what I've been wondering me and my friend replaced his Pitman arm as nd center link a couple months ago and the hole for the Pitman arm is definitely tapered and I can't see any way it would go on any other way

Sent from my static android

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scratch that...... it can be on backwards. Not the front on the back side but drivers on passenger

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Unless I have two terribly rounded out center links on my trucks, the TRE holes are not tapered. I had to stop tightening mine on both trucks when the castle nuts were down far enough to put the pins in, no more, no less. All the resistance was in the boots of the TRE's, not the shafts.