Folding Rear Seat Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimpalahat

Reaction score
Has anyone used the bracketry and hardware from an extended cab to make the rear seat of a crew cab fold up like modern trucks? Any known reasons why it won't work?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Crew cab rear seat is same 4 mounting points as a regular front bench seat. Extended cab front seat has very different bracketry - two individual sets, 8 mounting points, and the center ones are not all the same height as they don't fit a flat floor area like the 4 outer points do.

With some minor fabrication, you could do it. I'm curious; what's your goal with that functionality?

Richard

Grimpalahat

Reaction score
Crew cab rear seat is same 4 mounting points as a regular front bench seat. Extended cab front seat has very different bracketry - two individual sets, 8 mounting points, and the center ones are not all the same height as they don't fit a flat floor area like the 4 outer points do.

With some minor fabrication, you could do it. I'm curious; what's your goal with that functionality?

Richard
Lots of wasted storage space under the seat. I had the feature in my 2010 F150 and used it all the time.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, now I understand you, and you can ignore my previous reply as I didn't get what you were going for. I thought you wanted to mount an extended cab -front- seat in the rear of your crew cab.

What you actually want is to make a crew cab rear seat fold UP like an extended cab rear seat. That's gonna take a LOT of work. If you look at an extended cab rear seat, it has pivot points attached in the side walls of the cab, in very reinforced areas so they can take the weight of the seat and occupants. There is zero floor-mounted bracketry on the extended cab rear seat, vs. the crew cab which is all floor mount.

Could you do it with the extended cab parts? Sure, with a LOT of work, I'd say. Probably better off sourcing a solution from a different setup and adapting that instead. If you had a Ford crew with a foldable rear seat, I'd look at that and see if you could adapt the framework/brackets.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Both size GMT400 SUV rear seats have weird bracket setups that take up some floor space.. dunno if either would be good candidates for his goal of creating storage space underneath the seat. Slim brackets that fit at far ends of the seat would be the ideal setup, leaving the area underneath open.

Richard