Flush or Replace OEM transmission cooler

Should I Clean/flush, or Replace auto trans cooler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same size, but has factory type flared fittings, not 1/2" npt like the M7B d
You must be registered for see images attach
oes. I bought from original owner, I don't think it has been replaced, ever. The brackets are factory and have not been modified. I'm going to say this truck came with the M7B size cooler, but with flared fittings. I will call my friend I bought it from later this morning and see if he ever replaced it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As mentioned, that cooler is definitely not factory. Someone replaced it at some point with a larger unit. Whatever that tube and fin cooler is on the other side isn't factory either.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks similar to this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=538529

Which came on some HD trucks i believe.

Looks close, but I think the one you linked is a little taller than the M7B. I'm seeing 13.75" on a couple different sites.

@CHEVYS4ME Can you find a part number anywhere on the cooler you pulled off? It would be cool to know that bit of info, then people could upgrade to the larger 8"x11"x1.5" cooler like the M7B and keep the original lines and fittings with no adapters necessary.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks close, but I think the one you linked is a little taller than the M7B. I'm seeing 13.75" on a couple different sites.

@CHEVYS4ME Can you find a part number anywhere on the cooler you pulled off? It would be cool to know that bit of info, then people could upgrade to the larger 8"x11"x1.5" cooler like the M7B and keep the original lines and fittings with no adapters necessary.
I have that acdelco cooler installed on my nbs escalade. (I upgraded) I think those dimensions include the brackets, not just the core size. It was plug and play. Remove old one, plug existing lines into new cooler.

Edit: found some pics

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have that acdelco cooler installed on my nbs escalade. (I upgraded) I think those dimensions include the brackets, not just the core size. It was plug and play. Remove old one, plug existing lines into new cooler.

Cool, so you just trimmed your factory brackets a little?

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, so you just trimmed your factory brackets a little?
See my edit above

I used some flat aluminum to create a bracket that worked. So not exactly plug and play to mount but that was very easy. Obviously would be little different on gmt400

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks similar to this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=538529

Which came on some HD trucks i believe.

According to RA that part number is for 96-02 C3500's, so it's doubtful that is the factory supplied cooler for the OP's C1500. Plus it has another cooler (most likely a engine oil cooler) that is aftermarket, so somebody has been changing things. The trans cooler is a nice install and I would like to know where they got the lower brackets. The other cooler has the cheesy zip tie mounts. Plus it looks like part of the front strut has been repainted.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to RA that part number is for 96-02 C3500's, so it's doubtful that is the factory supplied cooler for the OP's C1500. Plus it has another cooler (most likely a engine oil cooler) that is aftermarket, so somebody has been changing things. The trans cooler is a nice install and I would like to know where they got the lower brackets. The other cooler has the cheesy zip tie mounts. Plus it looks like part of the front strut has been repainted.
Yeah someone has been in there.