Flush or Replace OEM transmission cooler

Should I Clean/flush, or Replace auto trans cooler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See my edit above

I used some flat aluminum to create a bracket that worked. So not exactly plug and play to mount but that was very easy. Obviously would be little different on gmt400

Ah OK, I was more curious about setups using the factory brackets but thanks for the info.

And alpinecrick beat me to it but yeah that ACDelco 89022577 would never have been on a C1500 from the factory. I agree that someone has definitely changed things around.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, that cooler is definitely not factory. Someone replaced it at some point with a larger unit. Whatever that tube and fin cooler is on the other side isn't factory either.

Yes, that cooler was definitely factory OEM. It had never been replaced. It came with the 8x11 same exact size as the M7B, but has flared fitting connections for OEM metal trans lines.

The whatever tube and fin cooler is obviously not factory OEM. It's a new Hayden Ultra-Cool trans cooler I have just added as a 3rd cooler, along with the new M7B.

This is the trucks 3rd transmission, and I'm currently building it's 3rd engine. Truck has 435,000 miles on it. I took original cooler and heated it up, sprayed brake clean in it, shook it up, and metal came out. Now I'm stressed the new trans may have ingested metal. Nothing I can do now.

I have a new 3 row aluminum radiator that was replaced after this transmission was replaced, a new M7B, and new tube/fin cooler. Fluid will go to radiator cooler first, then to tube/fin, then to M7B, and back to trans.

This is a GM reman trans. I'm putting on a 1700 stall TCI Converter, complete Corvette 1-2 and 3-4 servo kit with upgraded seals, a Sonnax Throttle Valve Boost Valve Kit .500", and a Sonnax tv cable correction kit.

Those few mods should make trans shift smooth under light throttle, but firm it up when more on the throttle without adding a "shift kit" and getting harsh shifts under heavy throttle.

Engines ready to install, I'm just finishing detailing engine bay, installing big 3 (6) kit, and some general wiring repairs.

I bought AC DELCO engine mounts, and filled in gaps with polyurethane. Should last a LONG time. The mounts I took off had the thin metal top plate.
You must be registered for see images attach

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks close, but I think the one you linked is a little taller than the M7B. I'm seeing 13.75" on a couple different sites.

@CHEVYS4ME Can you find a part number anywhere on the cooler you pulled off? It would be cool to know that bit of info, then people could upgrade to the larger 8"x11"x1.5" cooler like the M7B and keep the original lines and fittings with no adapters necessary.
It's EXACTLY the same size as M7B except fittings are flared for OEM metal lines. No part # that I could see. I will check again today when I get out there.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to RA that part number is for 96-02 C3500's, so it's doubtful that is the factory supplied cooler for the OP's C1500. Plus it has another cooler (most likely a engine oil cooler) that is aftermarket, so somebody has been changing things. The trans cooler is a nice install and I would like to know where they got the lower brackets. The other cooler has the cheesy zip tie mounts. Plus it looks like part of the front strut has been repainted.

I was just in there. I put new condenser, and both coolers. I painted the silver cooler, and painted over any rust. Before I got in there, it had never been touched. I bought truck from friend who was the original owner. He bought it without tow package, but with Heavy Duty Radiator. That is the cooler that came on it. We were talking about it yesterday, and thought maybe they ran out of the smaller coolers on the assembly line, and installed a few 3500 coolers to keep production going. I've heard of that happening before. Being an auto tech for 40 years, I have seen quite a few things that are hard to explain.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are all the markings from the OEM cooler. Also noticed sides are different shape than the M7B. If anyone has a smaller OEM cooler, I would be curious to see what type of side they have?
This is why you DON'T buy cheap engine mounts! Notice how thin the top metal plate is compared to an AC DELCO mount? These are stretched out and at least 1/4" allowing rubber to separate from mounts, and causing a lot of play. In my case, my engine was tilted way higher on driver's side, because both rubbers were separated, metals stretched allowing rubber to move off center. Driver's side went up, pass side went down from normal engine torque.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are all the markings from the OEM cooler. Also noticed sides are different shape than the M7B. If anyone has a smaller OEM cooler, I would be curious to see what type of side they have?

The cooler in the above photo that is bolted on and black is a stacked plate design. That is the only type of trans cooler I've ever seen on a GMT 400. The cooler that is not painted or bolted is a plate & fin design. GM may have used those as engine oil coolers, but the factory engine oil coolers I've seen on GMT400's have all been tube and fin design.

I've also never seen GMT400 factory trans coolers with flared fittings, they have all been the GM "snap in" fittings (I forget what the dang fittings are called at the moment).

This is why you DON'T buy cheap engine mounts! Notice how thin the top metal plate is compared to an AC DELCO mount? These are stretched out and at least 1/4" allowing rubber to separate from mounts, and causing a lot of play. In my case, my engine was tilted way higher on driver's side, because both rubbers were separated, metals stretched allowing rubber to move off center. Driver's side went up, pass side went down from normal engine torque.

You're lucky--AC Delco is no longer making motor mounts for GMT400 K1500 series, only C series that I can find. And according to Shurkey the thin metal motor mounts are indeed junk. Although I do have a buddy that has the ANCHOR brand CoronaVirusLand mounts and last I knew they hadn't broke......yet......

Last edited: