Flooded GMT400....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am currently offshore and my '91 TBI is in Houma, LA heliport

I have not had confirmation that the parking lot is flooded, but it is VERY likely.

My question is, if it is confirmed flooded and I get it on a flatbed and tow it home 28 days from now (i would think driving it home wouldn't be advised, if it even starts) what is my course of action to rectify this?

My thoughts;
-gut interior and wash dry any materials possible if not molded, and dry
-drain transmission, engine oil, fuel tank, rear diff, xfer case
-flush all the above however possible and refill
-pray it runs

anything i'm missing???

sorry for possibly a very stupid question. Another option would be to total it and probably not get anything from insurance for it. Is it even worth the trouble? I planned to engine swap it in the future, just dont know how far in the future as i use it for my 28/28 hitch rotation transportation. Cab and frame is in good condition, TBI has been driving me nuts (rough idle), but reliable.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all. In all honesty after dealing with flood cars over the years most of which were fresh water not salt. Rust and corrosion are horrid and will get into places you can not see. Specifically corrosion in every connector on the harnesses that are below the water line. Every module in the truck that is below the water line may have to be replaced, In my opinion it is not worth rebuilding a flood damaged vehicle. As the cost is too great, unless the truck has sentimental value to it it would be cheaper in the long run to let it go.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I worked offshore for 32 years. I have seen this first hand. I live in Lafayette. First step is to determine the water level flood line on your truck. You are rite, the insurance will total it, and give you as little as they can. If the flood water didn't get into the dash, you mite be able to save the truck. I saw a guy buy another guy's Tacoma years ago that got flooded in Venice. He got it running, but had a lot of issues with things like horn, wipers, all the controls on the dash, ECT. My reliefs truck flood another time in Venice again, and the water line was almost to the sun visors. That that truck was beyond repair. All and any oil will need the be flushed and replaced, and the coolant too. You will need to pull the spark plugs and spin the engine over to get the water out of the cylinder's. Pull all of the plugs before spinning the engine over. Venice and Fourchon are pretty much gone. Houma had a lot of damage, but you may be lucky enough to salvage your truck. Like you said, put it on a trailer and get it home like that. Good luck. PM me if you need to. I will try to help if I can. I do work now M-F 7:00 to 4:00, and on call every other weekend.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies!!!

I guess general consensus is to determine the flood level and go from there. The truck has no sentimental value to me, just being a very desirable combination that I like. I can always get another, or forget it even existed. My wife would probably be really relieved if it was totaled. I only have liability, so I really don't know how this will go over with insurance....

I worked offshore for 32 years. I have seen this first hand. I live in Lafayette. First step is to determine the water level flood line on your truck. You are rite, the insurance will total it, and give you as little as they can. If the flood water didn't get into the dash, you mite be able to save the truck. I saw a guy buy another guy's Tacoma years ago that got flooded in Venice. He got it running, but had a lot of issues with things like horn, wipers, all the controls on the dash, ECT. My reliefs truck flood another time in Venice again, and the water line was almost to the sun visors. That that truck was beyond repair. All and any oil will need the be flushed and replaced, and the coolant too. You will need to pull the spark plugs and spin the engine over to get the water out of the cylinder's. Pull all of the plugs before spinning the engine over. Venice and Fourchon are pretty much gone. Houma had a lot of damage, but you may be lucky enough to salvage your truck. Like you said, put it on a trailer and get it home like that. Good luck. PM me if you need to. I will try to help if I can. I do work now M-F 7:00 to 4:00, and on call every other weekend.
That's awesome man, I'm from New Iberia (dont judge lmao)

I work for Halliburton and been working on shell rigs for 10 years. Im ready to leave myself, but the money is where its at. You develop a lifestyle that revolves around the income the oilfield gives you. I know a sudden adjustment to that would be very shocking, one day I may or may just retire from the field (im 33 now). I really just have to see where the water line is. I was also just told that area of Houma does not flood and someone from Houma said it did not flood in that area, just the damaging winds.

I will pretty much get an idea of if/how bad it flooded this week, and got 3 weeks to prepare plan forward if it is flooded.

wish me luck!

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies!!!

I guess general consensus is to determine the flood level and go from there. The truck has no sentimental value to me, just being a very desirable combination that I like. I can always get another, or forget it even existed. My wife would probably be really relieved if it was totaled. I only have liability, so I really don't know how this will go over with insurance....

That's awesome man, I'm from New Iberia (dont judge lmao)

I work for Halliburton and been working on shell rigs for 10 years. Im ready to leave myself, but the money is where its at. You develop a lifestyle that revolves around the income the oilfield gives you. I know a sudden adjustment to that would be very shocking, one day I may or may just retire from the field (im 33 now). I really just have to see where the water line is. I was also just told that area of Houma does not flood and someone from Houma said it did not flood in that area, just the damaging winds.

I will pretty much get an idea of if/how bad it flooded this week, and got 3 weeks to prepare plan forward if it is flooded.

wish me luck!
Man, I hate to say this, but if all you have is liability, You won't get $hit. Maybe if your lucky, the company y'all are working for will give you some money for it. I have seen that happen before. I looked at your avatar and saw where your from before I replied. When you said you were offshore I figured you lived close to me. My son lived in the Berry before he passed away in 2015. He always 34. Man, if nothing else, get it home, and go through it. See if you can save it. If not, then at least your can part it out.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I roustabouted, learned to run the crane, worked the floor, and Derick, then welded on those drilling rigs for 25 years. Chasing them around the Gulf of Mexico. So I was a rig welder on drilling rigs for 25 years. In 2012 I had throat cancer, but was only out about 6 months. Been cancer free since Jan 2013. I got laid off in Jan 2015. My wife had been wanting me to leave the rat race out there for a long time. In late 2015, after we lost our oldest son, I knew I wasn't going back out there. I went to work in the salt mine (Weeks Island) for about 1-1/2 years. I almost got on with Martin salt. That didn't pan out, so I ended up at Nolan's machine shop. Been here 5 years now, and I'm 62. So I only have about 4 years + a little left untill I can retire. I totally get it about the secluded and the money. You can't beat the time off, and the money. I only make about 1/2 the money I did when I worked offshore, and have almost no time off. But, I'm home every night, I'm off for all of the holidays. The shop is less than 10 mins from my house, and my welding booth has AC and heat.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all. In all honesty after dealing with flood cars over the years most of which were fresh water not salt. Rust and corrosion are horrid and will get into places you can not see. Specifically corrosion in every connector on the harnesses that are below the water line. Every module in the truck that is below the water line may have to be replaced, In my opinion it is not worth rebuilding a flood damaged vehicle. As the cost is too great, unless the truck has sentimental value to it it would be cheaper in the long run to let it go.

GMT-400's don't have modules all over the place like newer vehicles. Our trucks have only a couple of wires on the floor. The water is going to have to get quite high before it can reach much of anything important.

sorry for possibly a very stupid question. Another option would be to total it and probably not get anything from insurance for it. Is it even worth the trouble? I planned to engine swap it in the future, just dont know how far in the future as i use it for my 28/28 hitch rotation transportation. Cab and frame is in good condition, TBI has been driving me nuts (rough idle), but reliable.

If you only have liability, I don't see how you could get anything for the truck, out of the insurance company..... so no "totaling" the truck is not worth it. That's just asking the govt. to give you a salvage title and further devaluing the truck.

Assuming the water doesn't reach the top of the engine or the dash I think you'll be relatively ok..... my truck goes through salt every winter, yours can do it once.

I'm sorry this whole thing is even a possibilty..... that must really feel crappy, not knowing, and not being able to do anything about it, now.