Flip kit on C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it has 7 total. Short thick one on bottom and thick one on very top with rubber bump stops bolted to frame.
The Alcoa’s will be for sale in the future after the 22.5 conversion. There’s a guy in Indiana that will cut blanks any style and even direct bolt 8 lug. His name is dually king. Look him up on YouTube.

BowtieJC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine has the 6 leafs but it isn't angled up like that on the top plus i only have one short one like the one on the bottom of yours

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine has the 6 leafs but it isn't angled up like that on the top plus i only have one short one like the one on the bottom of yours
I guess it’s more or less an overload leaf that way when your loaded down to much your axle isn’t sitting on the bump stops on the frame. My wife’s is the 6.5 turbo diesel. Maybe that’s the difference. Maybe the 454 trucks don’t have it. They may be rated for a little less towing capacity.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s more or less an overload leaf that way when your loaded down to much your axle isn’t sitting on the bump stops on the frame. My wife’s is the 6.5 turbo diesel. Maybe that’s the difference. Maybe the 454 trucks don’t have it. They may be rated for a little less towing capacity.
The 454 trucks are rated at 10k the 6.5 at 8k. (From factory literature, 2wd ccd)
Could be that someone added the overloads to your spring pack.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 454 trucks are rated at 10k the 6.5 at 8k. (From factory literature, 2wd ccd)
Could be that someone added the overloads to your spring pack.
That’s always possible. I believe the rear gear ratio had been changed also. Maybe they hauled quiet a bit of weight with it and had to change the gear ratio and add the leafs. Only reason I believe that is in torque lockup at 65 the rpms are just under 3k. I know they under rate the towing capacity’s from factory for warranty purposes. I know a guy who hauled 15k plus daily with no issues with his 6.5

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, for sure you can pull more than what any truck is rated at and not have issues, I was just letting you know the 6.5 was rated at less than the 454 all other things being the same.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Right on! Thought it was a dually by the front wheels, but I couldn't see the bed in the picture. Nice truck!

Flip kits don't usually change the ride much at all...Shocks can make a big difference. Aftermarket shackles maybe can help/contribute?

You should be able to pull whatever your truck is rated for and maybe a hair more with helper bags. As long as you have some distance from the bumpstops it should ride nice.

Where are ya going camping?

I always recommend at ride height at least 3" upward (axle towards the frame) before hitting the bump stop and 2" downward (axle away from frame) when lifting from the frame before the tire lifts off the ground as a minimum for good ride quality. Less than this and they can ride very rough even breaking parts. If you can get more travel great!

I also recommend having 1" extra shock travel at each end of the travel. Without this the shock valving can be damaged.

An adjustable shock can help ride quality immensely.

This is how to measure "Mystery Shocks".

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4779/kw/shock

I plan to do air ride on my dually to get a better ride with more travel without losing load capacity. My truck has the minimums above and is quite rough when empty.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, for sure you can pull more than what any truck is rated at and not have issues, I was just letting you know the 6.5 was rated at less than the 454 all other things being the same.
I’ll look it up at work Tuesday to be sure. I work at GM maybe I’ll run the vin. This dually maybe the 3500hd.