Fleet to step side conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treyes

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got a 93 c1500 with a fleet side but want to convert it to a step side is it a quick bolt on or what modifications will i have to make? The stepside bed i want to put on it is from a 94 will that work?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't quote me, but I believe the bed itself is a bolt on affair. I know there are some other small differences, are you able to grab the piddly **** off of the donor as well?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bed is a bolt on but you need the stepside fuel filler neck and you either need to trim the plastic lip on the bumper or replace it. If the bumper plastic is in good shape then a quick trim with a utility knife and you're good to go.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All correct other than the bumper - it's not just the plastic pad that you would have to trim; the metal underneath it has to be cut back, too. The stepside bumper and fleetside bumper are different items so the easy route is to get the bumper from the donor truck if it's any good.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the pump. Dropping the tank is easy.

It's a pain if you aren't setup for it, and doing it when removing the bed anyway, means the only additional work is literally swapping the pump.... no messing with straps, no fiddling with the filler tube later, no crawling around in the dirt, no trying to balance it, or draining gas.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
True, I'd just hate to see him yank a good factory pump that might have lasted another 20 years and drop a time bomb O Reilly's pump in and have it fail a year later.