fitting size at oil filter housing to eliminate oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is my truck.

You must be registered for see images attach
"]http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/Phillip_Shelton/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0086_zps5cc6e1de.jpg.html]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/UgRL][/URL]Universal: No
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: K3500
Submodel: LS
Beginning Year: 1999
Ending Year: 2000
Engine Type: V8
Liter: 7.4
CID: 454
Engine Size: 7.4L/454
Engine Family: Chevy big block Gen VI

This is from summits page. The years go back further but this is same as yours so.

Last edited:

JD4440

Reaction score
hey paul went to do the swap like yours filter wont clear due to the 1 ton has a bigger front gear housing,ended up plugging ports for cooler line with 3/8's plugs

Really? That stinks, I swear I remember someone saying some one tons came factory like that.

There was also a mod that needed to be made to the adapter if you were just going to plug it off. I can't remember exactly what it was though...

So is it just 3/8" plugs or is there a mod you have to do ?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay guys, I've been searching for the thread that mentioned what needed to be modified when just plugging the ports. Here is one found and what it said.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...78559-5-7-vortec-oil-cooler-line-removal.html

you can plug the ports on the adapter, there are bypasses in the adapter, I usually pull it off and remove the bypass valve between the 2 lines(to reduce the restriction)

there are 2 bypass valves in the adapter, one between the 2 lines(to bypass a plugged cooler) and one between non-filtered and filtered oil(to bypass a plugged filter)

So apparently just plugging them wont hurt as it will flow through the bypass. Removing the bypass valve just allows for more flow.

JD4440

Reaction score
Hmm. OK, I'll check it out when I have it off and see about removing that. It doesn't have to flow through that bypass to circulate the filter does it ? If it doesn't then I may leave it alone if filter flow is unaffected. Thanks

Last edited:

BOWTIE_TEXAN

Reaction score
I JUST TOOK WHOLE ASSEMBLY OFF AND PUT OLD STYLE 35O STRAIT DOWN ADAPTER WITH A PH454 OIL FILTER

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bringing back a dead thread!

So an adapter plate off a mid 80's 350 will fit and work properly?

I picked up a 96 5.7 out of a 2wd to replace my tired one in me 96 4wd and I know I need to change the adapter that's on the 2wd for clearance issues. Since I don't tow much or often and the truck is a DD I would just prefer to do away with the cooler lines and go with a straight down filter. Thanks

BOWTIE_TEXAN

Reaction score
Bringing back a dead thread!

So an adapter plate off a mid 80's 350 will fit and work properly?

I picked up a 96 5.7 out of a 2wd to replace my tired one in me 96 4wd and I know I need to change the adapter that's on the 2wd for clearance issues. Since I don't tow much or often and the truck is a DD I would just prefer to do away with the cooler lines and go with a straight down filter. Thanks

Yes. I pulled one off a 350 out of a 73 el camino. I run a ac delco pf454 it's a shorter filter. They used it on the older 4x4 stuff. From what I understand it doesn't effect anything with the filtering. But the ac delco has some kind of valve that prevents back flow. I had done a bunch of research. And there is no difference in the block from old 350s to the TBI. No vortecs I'm not exactly sure but is assume the same

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. I pulled one off a 350 out of a 73 el camino. I run a ac delco pf454 it's a shorter filter. They used it on the older 4x4 stuff. From what I understand it doesn't effect anything with the filtering. But the ac delco has some kind of valve that prevents back flow. I had done a bunch of research. And there is no difference in the block from old 350s to the TBI. No vortecs I'm not exactly sure but is assume the same

Thank's I'll let everyone know how it works out on a vortec in the next few weeks

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec blocks are the same, used part# pfa350 for the adapter an a delco pf454 and there's plenty of room

JK360

Reaction score
Just changed my gasket today and pluged the cooler lines. what a pain in the ass. From what i thought was going to be a quick job turned into a half day affair and a trip to get 3/8" plugs and teflon tape. i wasnt planning on removing the oil lines but didnt have a choice. Those suckers were not budging. And the old gasket was caked on there! the o-ring seemed fine but i replaced it anyway. That really is a ty spot to put an oil filter. Between the front driveahaft and the trans bar, theres barely any place to move!