Finished a 5-7” flip suburban need rear shock opinions ( stiffen the ride )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finished 5/7 flip on my obs suburban
Removed helper leaf notched frame
The ride is not bad , but I’m sitting with no rear shocks . I am going with stock rear shocks because am using the
( Drop brackets ) .

I suppose without the shocks in place on I’m measuring 2 to 3 inches between the notch and the diff available for travel. Two adults on the bumper can’t even cause frame slap … so the notch has plenty room .
I know I have to change my stock muffler. It does hit pavement on dips It’s way too big and hangs down about 4 inches lower then the frame which is already closer to the pavement..so I’m going to be addressing that with a nicer exhaust…but in the meantime, I need opinions on what I should do for rear shocks .. I have junk Amazon 38$ No name specials you can compress them with your two thumbs they have no rebound .. just cheap junk… I definitely now need something to stiffen it up help with the drop or when I do tow or have passengers give it some type of rigidity when weighed down.. But also still have good dampening over dips .. I was also thinking about helper bags over the leafs as an extra down the line .. It was suggested if planning to tow lightly.. because I tow a small 7x8 utility trailer with atv at best
( Nothing real heavy) .
I thought for now “ air up shock” hide the valve behind the gas lid door or just Use a good strong stiffer shock. I’m not expert what brand that would be ?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 91 RCSB, used Belltech Street Performance shocks. They are definitely stiffer then the blown out 20+ yr old Monroe's!!! Lol
They have great reviews, although some say they are a bit stiff for their liking. So maybe that's just what you're after.
Nice Burb.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 91 RCSB, used Belltech Street Performance shocks. They are definitely stiffer then the blown out 20+ yr old Monroe's!!! Lol
They have great reviews, although some say they are a bit stiff for their liking. So maybe that's just what you're after.
Nice Burb.
I have a new set of extended rc lift shocks pretty good set with 2 weeks of use but useless to this drop lol..
I’m prob gonna still use these airlift helper bags
Seems good reviews .. generic photo on 97 suburban

Still need shocks for the time being .

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What Would your take be on using these for rear with shock
( drop brackets ) -coil over shock

Too stiff ?
Would these make for a drop like this a dissatisfying ride quality , even if it kept the axle to frame travel stiffer.

My goal is to make sure the axle travel is limited through dips and bumps . I believe the notch is plenty even on a hard dip . But I don’t wanna start hating it if the shocks aren’t helping both in dampening and in stiffening the travel

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no experience with coilovers, maybe give the manufacturer a shout a d see if they will work in your application. Burbs are a lot of weight to support.