Few questions about rebuilding 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget a converter also.. Monster kits are pretty reasonable, but their converters are way over priced. Shop around on those. I think we have them for around $100

93TL93

Reaction score
o dang i had a friend order for me and he already paid for the converter. i didn't even check there prices on those but i sent an email to monster to cancel the converter. and i will get one from you as soon as they so a refund hopefully they have no problem with that. guess i will see how good monsters customer support is. thanks for the heads up.

94 cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
monster transmission has been good to me so far everytime i talked to someone they were very proffesional

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still haven't pulled my trans, but looks like you have made some real progress.

How would you rate the overall difficulty of what you have done up to this point?

93TL93

Reaction score
i got parts Monday never heard anything from monster regarding canceling the converter i probably should of called could of saved 90 bucks but o well i dont have time to send it back im trying to get it all done and put back in Friday. tearing it apart was pretty easy most trouble i had would be on them snap rings holding the return springs i rigged some wood clamps and paint rollers to depress the springs so i could mess the snap rings. lets just say i dislike snap rings now.putting it together so far not bad just same snap ring problems. lip seals have not been bad just use a feller gauge to work them..one question is the kit came with 7 frictions 3/4 and there is no room for the snap ring i was reading the manual and it said some thing about using 6 frictions and doubling up the steels? i got everything back together up to the point to where i got to put the little snp ring on the output shaft to hold it in and after that i just got to mess with the pump insides and install the shift kit and little stuff like that. also there seems to be a few o rings that i ahve not noticed where they go if i get it all together and have left overs i will be on a search.one of the o ring has a red stripe on it and is decent size thats one i have not found its location yet. i found the yellow stripe one on the pump so possibly go on the pump somewhere?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There will be a few left over for sure. Can you text me a pic of the ones you have leftover? I can tell you where they go. 601-238-6620. As far as the 3/4 goes, did you get factory clutches or performance? Great Job on those snap rings!

93TL93

Reaction score
i believe they are performance 3/4 clutches. and yes i will send you some texts of some of them o rings.

93TL93

Reaction score
got the trans completely rebuilt today. I had some issues with the clearance of the 3/4 clutches monster sent 6 alto frictions and 6 koleen steels. all them stacked was well over the snap ring slot. so by the recommendation from rhino I took one friction and sanded one side down to steel. and stacked them as follows plate with legs, stepped plate, sanded friction sanded side up another friction, steel, friction, steel, friction, steel ,friction, steel, friction, steel, friction then the top plate. had one left over steel. and ended up with .047 clearance. called monster before I contacted rhino and they said they need to discuss it with a technician. they ended up calling me back 6 hours later suggesting that I installed my 3/4 piston wrong. that was not the case because i air tested it all and everything functioned well. but i guess the real test will be next Friday when i install it and test.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting issue you have there. I was looking at the monster kit myself, but to be honest it seems alittle over kill for my driving

On the otherhand, I went to pull my transmission only to find most of the bell housing cracked or completely broken off and I have the 1 piece trans. So I am going to look at another 96 transmission tomorrow that came out of a wrecked z71. Trans has about 1k on it after install. I am gonna look it over real good and try to get it if he can come down alittle on the price.

93TL93

Reaction score
alright figured i give an update when i was installing the trans a week ago noticed the wiring harness was broke called monster they sent another one. so yesterday i install the harness and test drive it. shifts into every gear very nice. also so information on them 3/4 clutches i ended up damaging them some how so i went to a local shop to get new took my drum with me. they told me that there was no way those 3/4 they sent me would of worked the steels where to thick to stack in and the frictions. so got some thinner kolenes steels and whatever frictions they put in there (i was to angry to ask). also i have had this problem before i rebuilt the tps low voltage code 22 usually i can unplug the sensor and get it to function again whne plugging it back in. but if course not so i get high line pressure and very hard shifts 30 miles after rebuild. i replaced it few months back with a duralast it had no porblems for a month plus. im going to return and get an ac delco.