EVAP Canister removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megatronz0r

Reaction score
What's going to happen when you install a valve...and the valve closes? Think about this.

Removing the canister is nuts.

What you should be doing is connecting the canister to a vacuum source, (which may be ported, or may be manifold vacuum) so it works as designed. Think like an engineer instead of like a high-school kid.
If you clicked the link you would see the valve only closes in a roll over. Try reading like an engineer and not a high school kid.

This is a common practice among many makes and models. Though most don’t put the valve in the engine bay.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious why do you want to remove? Space for something?

megatronz0r

Reaction score
Just curious why do you want to remove? Space for something?

Not for something specific. I’m trying to clean up the engine bay of unnecessary things. As I said before it does not serve any purpose since the engine has been swapped except maybe “filter” vent fuel fumes from the fuel tank.

There’s several posts on this forum about removal of the canister except they are adding vents/valves at the rear of the vehicle. I’m wondering if it is safe at the front of the vehicle. As the canister already has had both the vacuum exit and vent open to the atmosphere.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to clean up the engine bay of unnecessary things.
IDK, I guess I think GM didn’t put it there for nothing. A little valve like you showed would’ve been cheaper for them. Maybe try the valve before you remove canister.

megatronz0r

Reaction score
IDK, I guess I think GM didn’t put it there for nothing. A little valve like you showed would’ve been cheaper for them. Maybe try the valve before you remove canister.
I think GM probably put it in there for government regulations

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There isn't a Canister Purge Valve in the 88, just a vacuum line hooked to it from the TB.
You must be registered for see images attach
Man i wish mine still had those stickers.

Any problems with capping off the EVAP port (Port a)? I remember i kept it open and didnt effect my engine idle speed. I just capped it for safety measure and threw away that canister hose cause it was in bad shape anyways.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any problems with capping off the EVAP port (Port a)? I remember i kept it open and didnt effect my engine idle speed. I just capped it for safety measure and threw away that canister hose cause it was in bad shape anyways.
Port "A" only builds vacuum when the throttle is opened more. There's hardly any when it's at idle. If you look at this picture, you'll see the port (A) on the left is routed to above the throttle blades, which are almost closed all the way when at idle. Just leave it capped off or, replace the vacuum line ;)

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Port "A" only builds vacuum when the throttle is opened more. There's hardly any when it's at idle. If you look at this picture, you'll see the port (A) on the left is routed to above the throttle blades, which are almost closed all the way when at idle. Just leave it capped off or, replace the vacuum line ;)
Thanks that makes sense!

I got the same fuel psi setup as you i believe. RV morse. I bought it just before he dies and they shut it down.