Erratic Idle and Hard Start?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docs

Reaction score
Changed out my throttle body due to numerous TPS/ IAC codes being set! In addition to the new throttle body, also replaced the TPS & IAC. Now my idle is allover the place and once the truck gets hot it's hard to start?! Please help.....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now my idle is allover the place and once the truck gets hot it's hard to start?!
Check and double check for vacuum leaks.

EDIT: When your engine is cold, your mixture is enriched, which can cover a vacuum leak. Once your engine is warmed up, it's harder to start because the mixture's leaner.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changed out my throttle body due to numerous TPS/ IAC codes being set! In addition to the new throttle body, also replaced the TPS & IAC. Now my idle is allover the place and once the truck gets hot it's hard to start?! Please help.....
did you set your idle?

S
ince you seem a little on the upset/ youre a hammer and everything is a nail, I wont give you the procedure to play with your idle because you could just end up worse off if you havent done everything else proper as can be.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

your throttlebody should NOT have been relpaced because of TPS and IAC codes. The IAC and the TPS are both replaceable, testable, and indepndently operating parts giving info and being commanded by the PCM.

What year. What engine.
What have you done so far.
Pictures? We can help a LOT more with pictures.
What codes? You said codes, what were your codes!

If possible can you verify the condition of every single important ground from your battery's direct connections to the ones off the engine and ultimately your PCM ground. Which may go to a stud or bolt on your thermostat housing or next to it.