ENGINE UPGRADE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a quick recommendation if it's still on the table, a stroker will not be any less reliable than a 350. The initial cost aspect is understood, though.
Is a SBC 383 stroker more than a LS swap? Im asking bc I figured a LS would be more because your making something work with the truck that it was never meant to go in. When I had my current 383 built i didnt even consider a Ls bc i thought it would be way more. I could have done my 383 cheaper but I went all out with Holley EFI and all the works.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Is a SBC 383 stroker more than a LS swap? Im asking bc I figured a LS would be more because your making something work with the truck that it was never meant to go in. When I had my current 383 built i didnt even consider a Ls bc i thought it would be way more. I could have done my 383 cheaper but I went all out with Holley EFI and all the works.

Truth be told, an LS swap would typically be more than a SBC 383, but how much more depends on where you source.

If you did everything new-for-new, LS would cost a lot more. If you're talking junkyard or parts truck, there's lots of savings to be had for sure. I'm not sure when you built your 383, but the aftermarket has broadened a bit. Still a bit spendy though, especially if you're not keeping it stock.

I built a 383 for the same reasons you did. Where I live, people thought and still think LS's are gold. It would've costed me over $1,500 for a high-mile LS with some of the sensors and a cut-up wiring harness. So I'd have to make or find my own intact harness, computer or EFI system, accessory drive on the front of the motor, motor mount adapters, air intake, a new way to make all my gauges work, headers that would fit (Schoenfeld was the only choice back then, 2WD/automatic transmission fit only). All things that can be done, but it depends on how far someone wants to go. Especially if you're going all out. Just a cam and bigger throttle body can chew up some dough in LS world, which brings me to my next thing...

Programmable EFI systems are finally coming down a bit with cost. OE computers had a few limitations for performance. Kind of unrelated - I had lots of issues in the past with "tuners," promising they could tune your custom build, only for it to not run right. Only way to find out? Some dude on the internet or in a dyno shop tells you bring money, spends an hour or two tweaking some things, then calls it good enough. No one cares more about your truck and your build than you. At least now there are several DIY tuning options. A must if it's your daily driver! I didn't mind paying $50 for a retune, but the hassle and time involved was difficult.

I did my 383 back in 2013, the aftermarket is even better now than it was back then. If I had known better, I might have been better off going LS. Even for the cost difference, it would've been a slow work in progress as newer, better things became available.

Just a personal opinion. There's no wrong answer. :waytogo:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, you can do a junkyard LS cheaper than a crate motor 383, but then you could do a junkyard 350 even cheaper. If Adan's looking at a rebuild because of a rear main leak, I'm pretty sure he's not looking to bolt in a junkyard motor.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
People think LS is gold here too. At car shows and what not people say I should have LS swapped. I have a nice built 383 that is and sounds nasty. "It seems" Peoples idea of Ls swapping is pulling a bone yard motor, hacked up harness and slapping it in the engine bay and calling it good. Not me. My 383 ended up costing me $6-7k. So i can imagine what a Comparable LS would cost. My Sniper system may not be as "tunable" as a LS but my truck is tuned pretty dang good (not by me though, i can't tune worth a dang)

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Sounds like he wants a driver with around 300 hp. It wouldn't be a lot of trouble to rebuild the original motor to those specs on a modest budget. Not everyone wants to tie up a fortune in a engine ging in a driver.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he wants a driver with around 300 hp. It wouldn't be a lot of trouble to rebuild the original motor to those specs on a modest budget
Yeah, as long as you don't get the "Might as Well" bug, LOL. I did and then once I was happy, I blew the 700R4 trans. Oh well, another $2300 for a Stage 2.

Adan Benitez

Reaction score
Yeah, as long as you don't get the "Might as Well" bug, LOL. I did and then once I was happy, I blew the 700R4 trans. Oh well, another $2300 for a Stage 2.

Well as of today that’s exactly what’s happened. So far I have tore down basically the entire engine bay pulled the main harness to have them all wrapped in new conduit as well as new connector ends on any damaged connectors.

Started cleaning and sanding firewall as well as fender wells to be painted. Next up is sanding the front portion of frame that is visible under the hood and coating it as I did the rear. And now to wait on parts from summit and Jeg as well as the machine shop to return engine. I’ll post some pics as the project progress

Last edited: